Cheetah Interior with radiosity

Cheetah Interior with radiosity

Well, I thought I'd start reinvestgating Cheetah and it's interior rradiosity capabilities. C'mon Trevor, where are you? Trevor got me going on this so I thought I'd post a try. He also has the model so I hope he's on it.

Anyway. Here is my first try. I was trying to find the thread regarding HDRI and glass, but couldn't. Did we decide if HDRI works through glass or do we have to tag the glass to be invisible to radiosity?

Can someone help me with that? I can't find that explanation, although I recall seeing a test image posted here.

This was lit with one of my HDRI's and one area light throught the window. Still need to materialze some things, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Attachments

• cheetahTest.jpg
    cheetahTest.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,430
I am here Jake... just found you had emailed me the file to my work account... have been on leave doing reno's and forgot to check my work email yesterday... so will have a look at it tonight... hopefully...

but yours is pretty darn neat... maybe a little yellow in the lighting... but otherwise very nice... pretty close to the ArtlantisR in output quality you got...

but will be VERY intereesting to see the render inprovements that Martin is working on to see if Cheetah then truly gives them ALL a serious run for their money... and at Cheetah's price and quality I think it will be pretty good indeed...

I definitely prefer supporting the underdogs :) (hence my use of HighDesign for 2D CAD, and C3D for my rendering... nfortunately SU is no longer an underdog now that Google bought it!!)

cheers
Trevor

Nice one Jake!! Maybe it's still a litlle too dark? What are your settings for this scene? BTW, I'm working on an interior atrium scene for the office here, I'll try and post some results when I'm satisfied with the results.

Regards,

Peter

Jake another question. If you used an arealight, what is the distance from the window. In my setup I'm always seeing the glare from the arealight on my walls, floor and ceiling. Did you use materials that have no specular values? Or is this an Indigo rendering? ;)

Regards,

Peter

I'll post the file when I get to the office.

Royaly,

That's the one. Thank you.

Peer,
I'm not sure how far back the light is. I just whipped it together as a starting point. I'll post the jas file. It is a little dark, but there is suppose to be only one light source coming from the window. The scene IS a little yellow. I'm going to adjust lights and add some color to the scene.

The settings? I'll try and post the file. If too big, I'll post the settings.

I really would like to see you atrium image.

C'mon Trevor. What's more important Cheetah or marital bliss?

Jake

A quick one, very abstract. Didn't record the rendertime for this one, sorry. I used a material without specular to get rid of the bright spot that an arealight makes.

Regards,

Peter

PS. Jake, the atrium will take some time, as the interior designer is still working on some materials, but I'm modeling the architectural part of it now.

Attachments

• Wireframe.jpg
    Wireframe.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,292
  • Settings.jpg
    Settings.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,292
  • interior01.jpg
    interior01.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,309
Last edited:
Well, I can't get anything like that Peer. I think it's due in part to the darker materials.

I di try a distant light for a sharper light and an HDRI together. Radiosity is cranked to 10 and the light low so I don't get burnout at the window. I can't get rid of the HDRI through the glass even though I turned it off and was using a background color. Because of this I get a funky night time, street light thing for light through the window. I think Tim pointed out this issue in a previous thread.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,268
Last edited:
that is looking pretty fine to me Jake... will definitely be good to see what can be done with the improved radiosity bits that Martin is working on... with what you can get now and those improvements... your renders will be near prefect....!!!;)

At the moment marital bliss/sanity takes precidence over Cheetah... :) so I have not even had time to open the skippy let alone export it to C3D and try any renders... :(:(

Jake, Peter --

These are all looking really nice...the first one is sublime, but that's Area lights for you. Jake - how long did the render take and at what resolution, using the area lights?

I've been having problems with really long render times lately, for stuff that had to be done at print rez (although sped up a bit by Martin's suggestions). Can't imagine what it would have been like with Area lights.

My contribution to this was forgetting to put render tags on my glass in an earlier thread. Taking the glass out of the Radiosity/HDRI calculation really improved the whole look.

Am currently stuck in the local library, away from my computer, so can't do any testing. AAAArgh! the frustration! That's house renovation for you. Still, with the profits, I think a Conroe intel Mac is on my shopping list...

Here's the same scene with a dark mossy stone wall and a sun(direct) light (0.8 strength).
Radiosity settings are the same. And I added a glass window now (with rendertag).

Regards,
Peter

Attachments

• interiortest01.jpg
    interiortest01.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,509
Tim,

I'm not sure about the first. As I RECALL it was around 1200 x 900 and took about 6500 seconds at a sample rate of 1200. That's on my dual 2.5 G5. It's not fast by any stretch.

Jake

That last image you did has got a brillient feel to it...v impressed whatever settings you used it certainly adds mood.

Regards

Luke

PS cheetah is pretty damn good tool overall I reckon

peer said:
Here's the same scene with a dark mossy stone wall and a sun(direct) light (0.8 strength).
Radiosity settings are the same. And I added a glass window now (with rendertag).

Regards,
Peter

Looks good Peter. You have a knack. Maybe the sampling should go up a bit to clear up the walls though.

Luke, I had radiosity cranked to 10 for that one with my sun at .7 so I wouldn't get burnout at the window.

Hi,

So I'm using a new trick now for lighting interiors. Instead of an HDRI that's not giving me much control etc. I'm now using a sphere (with rendertags) with a solid material. I then use a sky material for the texture slot. I think this is a good alternative for the HDRI. I have uploaded a sample scene.

The scene

It's called TG-Room because of a post on his Blog.
I did not use many samples in the picture because of the short time I have right now.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• TG-Room.jpg
    TG-Room.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 1,100
Last edited:
Peer -- Do you mean a Sky Dome (sphere with the texture mapped on the inside?)

The soft shadows from the Skylight look extremely cool!

Hi Tim,

Yes it's a skydome (a simple sphere) with a texture. Just assigned it with a Spherical UV Map. Works great with this scene. I'm trying it out with the Pawson scene from Jake that I got from the Pushpullbar forum.

Regards,

Peter

PS. I attached a first test

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 992
wow, good sample!!

and, TG_ROOM is good, too. I will try with your sky doom tips. :D

tg_jp

p.s. just wondering. Which machine is fast for rendering with Cheetah3D, Intel Core Duo iMac or PowerPC G5 Dual?

Peer --

How are you getting the soft shadows? Are they from an Area Light? I was hoping it would be a result of the Skydome...:-(

Also, do you find rendering with a skydome is much slower? I halved the resolution, but it still took almost twice as long...

Back