Sketchup to Cheetah: any tips?

Sketchup to Cheetah: any tips?

I have been playing with the demo of Sketchup and am impressed with it so far, but I am wondering about exporting files for further rendering in Cheetah3D. Any file formats or settings you tend to use for the best results? Do you assign all materials in Sketchup, or can you do it or refine them later in Cheetah?

And... anyone have any old or extra Sketchup books then no longer need? Are they worth it?

Thanks.

sketchup materials

Roger - to answer a specific question of yours with regards to materials, I usually assign materials in Sketchup, export as .fbx and then adjust as necessary in Cheetah. I also export a .3ds copy because it makes handy little .jpgs of the materials. By converting them to grayscale images and adjusting the brightness/contrast, it is easy to create bumpmaps for materials like brick and stone. I have been messing around with HDRI for ambient lighting and a single spotlight to simulate sunlight for outdoor architectural images. I find, as others have, that Sketchup and Cheetah work very well together in this way.

Randolph

Back