Verge 3D - Blender Compatibility File Format from Cheetah 3D

Hi all, long time since last post. I'm looking at getting a licence for the new V8 and then V8.1 when due. I used Cheetah 3D extensively in the past, I find the workflow so easy to use, I find I am able to create models in a fraction of the time over other 3D software. Here is my problem though, I use Verge 3D a lot, this pllugin will only work with Blender (or 3DS Max and Maya). I had to familiarise with Blender in order to use Verge 3D. I have a good working knowledge of Blender. Verge 3D takes the model in Blender, allows you to add interactive functions and export as web content with the resultant 3D file as GLTF.

However... I would rather model in Cheetah 3D, then export in to Blender so it is usable as much as possible as a model in Blender so I can export to Verge 3D with the interactive features.

For instance I may want to model a box that I can the open and close in Verge 3D, therefore the model I export from Cheetah 3D needs to retain as much as is possible the elements that make it and not collapse it to a solide single 3D model. I realise and obviously I can't take over Cheetah 3D specific functions such as array, extrude etc. The ideal solution would be Cheetah 3D talking to Verge 3D, but I have to use Blender as stepping stone.

So really my question is if anybody could suggest the most appropriate file format for the best compatibilty with Blender as export and import for retaining editability with materials, structure, UV map possibily etc to provide the ability for minor modifications to the model in Blender. Or any workflow suggestions for best compatability in Blender.

Thanks

Ben

I don‘t get why „Extruded“ parts won‘t take over or do you mean Creators&Modifiers which can be made editable („baked“).
Hi Frank, sorry yes the creators and modifiers. I've been doing some extensive testing this morning and GLTF seems to be the best file format I can find, it seems a cleaner method than OBJ to put in to Blender, for Verge 3D plugin to reexport.

Think I've answered my own question now after much more testing, it's worth sharing if somebody else has similar. GLTF is the way to go for Blender compatibilty to use Verge 3D plugin, it takes the lights over, textures and importantly the parent/child structure so things can be articulated and animated for Verge 3D. Very impressed as Cheetah has always been knock out and untouchable for quick workflow modelling, UV maps etc (and animation), really pleased I can continue this. I'm going to have to register to the new version later today and give that a whirl. The two screenshots attached show the Cheetah render and the corresponding Blender render all assets taken over with articulation of parent/child on limbs and joints, the only thing that needs tweaking is reflective metal surface, which is understandable.

Attachments

• Blender Robot.jpg
    Blender Robot.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 33
  • CH3D Robot.jpg
    CH3D Robot.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 31
Back