Cheetah3D 8.0 Public Beta (with native Apple Silicon and Metal support)

I think the easiest way forward is to double-click the value, take my hand off the mouse so it doesn't get nudged, and overtype the value. The issue is that the cursor is in the way. It also means I have to replace the value in its entirety when all I might want to do is change a numeral.

I did a few more tests...

If I double-click the value and immediately drag the cursor down to the right, then take my hand of the mouse so as not to nudge it, the field remains in focus. Any further movement of the mouse causes the field to lose focus.

If I double-click the value and immediately drag down to the left, the field loses focus immediately.

I also have an old 2012 MacBook Pro that I haven't used for a while, so I'll have a look to see if I have the same problems there.

Reactions: gsb
Another problem:
When I export the rendered animation from the attached project with one of the ProRes codecs from the render manager suddenly the white background turns green.
It does not happen with h.264, h.265 or GIF export.
Also the PNG files in the render history look okay and Quicktime player produces a correct ProRes from the imported image sequence.
Beta 8 with Sonoma on MacBook M3.

I've tested your file on M1/Sonoma and M1/Ventura and it worked properly both times. So maybe that problem is limited to the M3. Unluckily I don't have access to a M3 Mac so I can't test it by myself.

Do you get that green color in all frames or just for some frames.

Hi Frank

Thanks for looking into this.

I use my mouse and click into the field, then delete and retype, or I drag over the value, then overtype it. Sometimes I double-click the value to select it.

I tend not to tab around the fields. That's so last century :ROFLMAO:

Everything worked fine for a few months on the new Mac Studio. On the 2012 iMac, it all worked fine for many many years. On the Mac Studio, it's all new equipment, mouse, keyboard, computer, etc, so I wasn't expecting this problem to reappear.

Just gave it another go.

If I Tab, the value in the field I tab to is selected for overtyping. But that would require me to click into an adjacent field and tab to the field to select the value that I want to modify. I'm right-handed, but operate the mouse with my left hand, so I have to take my hand off the mouse to tab (I use a left-handed mouse). If I return my hand to the mouse and move it, the field again loses focus.

Whether I click into a field, double-click the value, tab into a field or use the mouse to drag over a field’s value, it's the same thing. It's the ongoing movement of the mouse, whether intentional or not, that causes the field to lose focus.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps it was a bug in an old file I opened. It doesn't happen in other apps.

Hi Chris,
that's a really strange behaviour. So far I haven't experienced that behaviour by myself in v8. I have the feeling that the problem is caused by the tablet. Especially since gsb has encountered similar problems with his Wacom. Could you try to unplug your tablet and test if that solves the problem.

Do you get that behaviour just in a certain scene or in all scenes.

The text field normally just gets deselected if you move the mouse cursor over the 3D or the UV view.

Bye
Martin

I've tested your file on M1/Sonoma and M1/Ventura and it worked properly both times. So maybe that problem is limited to the M3. Unluckily I don't have access to a M3 Mac so I can't test it by myself.

Do you get that green color in all frames or just for some frames.
All frames are green, see attachment.
The PNG files in the render history look ok:
image_00000.png

It is no big deal for me if not fixed because firstly I rarely animate with C3D and secondly QuickTime Player can process the image sequence.

Attachments

• Untitled.mov.zip
    504.9 KB · Views: 41
Hi Chris,
that's a really strange behaviour. So far I haven't experienced that behaviour by myself in v8. I have the feeling that the problem is caused by the tablet. Especially since gsb has encountered similar problems with his Wacom. Could you try to unplug your tablet and test if that solves the problem.

Do you get that behaviour just in a certain scene or in all scenes.

The text field normally just gets deselected if you move the mouse cursor over the 3D or the UV view.

Bye
Martin
Hi Martin.

Problem Gone!

I disconnected the tablet, but I must have also shut down Cheetah yesterday.

On launching Cheetah this morning with the Huion tablet disconnected, it's all back to normal with no loss of focus when field values are selected. But I don't know if it was the tablet. On plugging the tablet back in, it's all still working fine. Yay! If it happens again I'll disconnect the tablet while the problem is there to see what happens.
Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Hi Martin

The problem with the fields keeps coming back regardless of whether the tablet is connected. The only way to temporarily fix it is to save everything and restart Cheetah. After a while, it starts to play up again and Cheetah needs to be restarted.

Hi Martin

The problem with the fields keeps coming back regardless of whether the tablet is connected. The only way to temporarily fix it is to save everything and restart Cheetah. After a while, it starts to play up again and Cheetah needs to be restarted.

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have the latest drivers for the tablet installed.

Do you have the problem with all your scenes or just a certain one?

That's a very strange problem.

All frames are green, see attachment.
The PNG files in the render history look ok:
It is no big deal for me if not fixed because firstly I rarely animate with C3D and secondly QuickTime Player can process the image sequence.

That green/yellow noise pattern looks really strange. I'm pretty sure that's a bug in macOS. Especially since the other movie file formats work. I'm a little bit clueless what I can do about it.

Hi Martin

I have installed the latest tablet driver. Just recorded a short video, but I don't know if it reveals much.
Screencast Video

I'm not sure what you meant by scene. While the file with the problem was open, I opened another file and the other file was fine, so perhaps it just happens file by file and is not Cheetah-wide when multiple files are open; at least not initially. The thing is, I'm creating a new file each time I create a new version of this pattern. I am cutting and pasting my cameras and lighting from one file to the next.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
good news. I was finally able to recreate the problem and fix it. Your last video and Franks hint helped me a lot. Thank you very much. It had nothing to do with your tablet.

I can send a link to a developmental built if you are interested. So that you can test it by yourself.

Bye
Martin

Hi Chris,
good news. I was finally able to recreate the problem and fix it. Your last video and Franks hint helped me a lot. Thank you very much. It had nothing to do with your tablet.

I can send a link to a developmental built if you are interested. So that you can test it by yourself.

Bye
Martin
Hi Martin
That’s awesome news and will save me from having to quit and reopen Cheetah whenever this happens. I’m happy to test the developmental build.
Cheers
Chris

Hi,
I've released Cheetah3D 8.0 today. I can't belief that v8 actually made it over the finish line. You can find all the necessary information about v8 on the following page:

Thank you very much to all who helped during the Alpha and Beta test. :) :):)

Kind regards
Martin

Thanks Martin, I just upgraded and registered.
It was a very long wait, over four years, since the last feature update (7.3 I think) but v8 is very promising and hopefully will bring the much needed improvements that were meant for v7 but then delayed because of the Metal and Apple silicon switch.

Us old bunch of users are dedicated to C3D and will continue to work with this fine piece of software you provide (y)

Thank you very much for upgrading. :)

Yes, the switch to Metal took unnecessarily long. It could have been done in a much shorter time.

In 3D view in the upper right corner the Cog wheel opens the display modes:
View attachment 39678
I figured that out, but I need all my old files to open without this enabled (it is just annoying to have to turn it off for models that don't have PBR textures, of which I have a ton).

A preference toggle to always open a file with PBR shading turned OFF would be great.

Back