Hi, I need to export or save a file as .obj, but I noticed the format pretty much seems to erase all color materials or textures...

Hi, I need to export or save a file as .obj, but I noticed the format pretty much seems to erase all color materials or textures...
how can I save a file so it keeps as much of the color or textures as an obj. format? reason for this I then need to re-format the resulting obj file into either a GLB or GLTF format, but then again since the original obj file loses all color and texture info the glb/gltf files dont have it either - any suggestions?

Thank you,

There must be an accompanying mtl-file with the material info next to the obj file.
Are you using just diffuse colors or image based ones?

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank - your answer put me in the right direction. I ended up exporting the file as .fxb, then used an online converter to format the file into .glb format. It's there where I loaded both the .fxb and the actual image file I used as a texture, and voila! it worked just beautiful.

Thanks again for your help! :)

I´m under the impression that there went something wrong.
I made a simple cube, added 6 different diffuse colors and exported to gltf:
6colors.png

I took the animation example file - exported to gltf and there it is (with running animation):
Aliengltf.png

Obj+mtl+image texture should be inside the same folder and looks like so:
OBJ+mtl+It.png

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank - thanks for following up on it. When I export the file from Cheetah (any format, obj, fxb, etc), it only outputs 1 file, there are no texture-files. Also, from what i can tell, I cant directly export a file from within Cheetah, I dont see that option in the export menu. Is that available in the 7.0 version? as well as the output of separate texture-files? I have version 6.3.2.

I was thinking of upgrading but couldnt tell if it's a free upgrade for 6.3.2 owners - is there a place where I can see that info, or upgrading process?
Plus wasnt sure if 7 version coudl have bunch of changes that may make the switch a bit cumbersome since I'm just getting reacquainted with the 6 version...

Thanks again!

correction on one those lines, what I meant to say is..
"Also, from what i can tell, I cant directly export a file AS EITHER .GLB OR .GLTF from within Cheetah, I dont see that option in the export menu."

Ahh.. I see. So, quick question, I bought version 6 when it was available in the App store, but it's no longer there. If I buy the 7 upgrade at $49, will it allow me to link it so I get the discount?

So I went ahead and bought the upgrade ang gotta say I'm already liking some of the changes I see, specially making lots of the general project settings, like resolution, radiosity, etc, part of the "Renderer", and also the new eye and camera references in the objects panel to quickly hide objects. The overall GUI seems a lot more logical, less confusing I think. One thing I'm completely ignorant is the new Falcon render engine.. I see that the settings there differ quiet a bit from what I'm used to in the Cheetat renderer (no radiosity, etc).

Can somebody explain the advantages are, or the main differences are between the two.. or where I could find specific info on that so I get more acquainted,

Thank you!

Frank, just a quick follow up on this... I exported a file with as .gltf and it does show fine when I placed it in the gltf viewer app, but the animation doesnt seem to work. Like on your screenshots of the alien-walk I see you get a "animation" under the controls section in the viewer. But animation doesnt appear in in my viewer. Is there a specific way I need to save the gltf, so the animation plays too? I just simply exported the glft file directly out of Cheetah..

Thanks!

Hi Frank - I was just testing a simple animation, of an orbiting planet, to see if it would work as a GLTF, but so far it hasnt worked, the animation tab does not appear when viewing under the GLTF viewer. See .jas file attached and a gif of it. So still dont know why you get an animation tab but it does not show for me.

I'm exporting it as a GLTF right out of Cheetah - and like I said, it does show in teh GLTF viewer, it just doesnt do the animation...

Thanks!

Attachments

• test-animation-model-viewer.jas.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 248
  • screenshot-from-GLTF-Viewer.png
    screenshot-from-GLTF-Viewer.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 229
I´m not 100% sure what kind of animation data GLTF supports - but most likely "spline" based animation aren´t.
This animation can be easily achieved with a simple joint based system which works in the gltf viewer:
JointAnim.gif

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• test-animation-model-viewer-with-joints.jas.zip
    10 KB · Views: 256
  • test-animation-model-viewer.gltf.zip
    33.7 KB · Views: 227
Thanks Frank... I see what you mean on the spline thing. I just tried it with the alien sample file file too, but it also does not show the animation tab in the viewer... so still odd that your alien export shows it but mine doesnt. I'll keep testing things... Thanks again!

I don´t know where the difference is. You can try my gltf export file if the AlienWalk scene if you like:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Alien walk.gltf.zip
    136.6 KB · Views: 243
Hi.. well, so yeah, both of your gltf files play the animation in the viewer, but when I try to export them myself as gltf from within my own cheetah app, using the file you sent over, then the animations dont play. Here is what I get when I export your planets file from my own cheetah app and upload to the viewer...

As you can see, there's no ANIMATON tab in the viewer.

So odd. I wonder if there's a setting within Cheetah that I need to have on in order for the files to export out correctly?

Thanks again!

planet-test.png

Back