Animation of a complex model

Animation of a complex model

Hi,

Here is another example of the technique described in this thread : http://cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=814.

This model, designed by D.Proctor, has all the individual parts in one folder. After an import into Cheetah3D, animating it would be very difficult since parts would have to be relocated to their real rotation center. With the new Drop/Shift feature, this was very easy.

See "The Invisible Man" ... at work, in the attached movie

Questions and comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IM6.jpg
    IM6.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 755
  • IM6 Mail.mov.zip
    176.9 KB · Views: 695
Thanks a lot, Luke

Here is a different one using my Kangoo from the 2nd Cheetah contest. Using also the other new 3.4 functions ( spline tracking and target mode ). FWIW, the background is a HRDI pano image. And I have the correct shadows on the ground ... :D
This is WIP too. The kangoo itself is animated (you've to watch closely) but I still need to work so he jumps more often and faster.

Attachments

• AK3.jpg
    AK3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 726
  • Anim Kangoo 3 Mail.mov.zip
    223.6 KB · Views: 512
Great animations!! I've got two questions. Where did you get those HDRIs? And how did you make the shadows blend in so well with the background?

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

peer said:
Great animations!!
Thank you very much

peer said:
Where did you get those HDRIs?
Home made ! They were converted from a Cubic QTVR into an equirectangular jpg and then into a .hdr. So they are not true hdr but that's enough for these tests.

peer said:
And how did you make the shadows blend in so well with the background?
There is a 90-95% transparent plane simulating the floor. It's then a matter of playing with lights (power and directions) as well as shadow colors to meet the environment as close as possible. A slight reflexion may be added too if required. Obviously, this kind of settings may not work for every possible background (the plane change somewhat the original ground color) but your very pretty Kharmann Ghia could possibly benefit of this technique ... :)

François I'll see what I can do with the Karman Ghia. I'm going to try your technique as soon as I have some time. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Peter

Hi Francois,
very well done :D And excellent integration of your animation into a HDRI. Wow. I didn't even know by myself that this is possible. :D

Bye,
Martin

Thanks a lot for your comments, Martin.

Here is a last example of these animations to test and demonstrate the use of the new 3.4 functions. This one does use 2 moving objects with spline rails (this is WIP and some fine tuning of the rails is needed ... :cool: ... The car is just on a straight line.

Enjoy the flight !

Attachments

• Planes.jpg
    Planes.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 434
  • P51 + Car.mov.zip
    169.5 KB · Views: 448
Eureka! said:
How did you do the grass?

The 2 planes and the car are the only 3D objects in the scene. So, the grass is part of the HDRI background image which was composed from real photos.

Jake said:
Very well done Francois. I especially like the Kangaroo! Nice.

Thanks a lot, Jake. But I have a long way to go to match your results with Cheetah3D ... :cool:
The Kangaroo is also my favorite as this is a full Cheetah3D "baby". The others are mainly "adaptations" from various Internet pieces without too much emphasis on the rendering itself. The fun part of these 3 animations was the integration into the pano and testing/showing various functions / settings. Hopefully this will give plenty of new ideas to all the Cheetah3D lovers

Back