what is a .mtl file

hi,

'.mtl' files are the standard Wavefront material file format, and are often (always?) attached to .obj files.

These files are linked inside the '.obj' that required the encapsulated materials with references to the '.mtl' file path (via the mtllib command if I remember).

And because .obj (and .mtl) are human readable, you can modify this path.

Cyril.

is there away to open them in Cheetah?

klog said:
hi,

'.mtl' files are the standard Wavefront material file format, and are often (always?) attached to .obj files.

These files are linked inside the '.obj' that required the encapsulated materials with references to the '.mtl' file path (via the mtllib command if I remember).

And because .obj (and .mtl) are human readable, you can modify this path.

Cyril.
How would you modify the path? So I could use the .mtl file with the .obj file I import into Cheetah?

Hi,

uncle808us said:
How would you modify the path?

• open the '.obj' file with a text editor (open with / TextEdit)
  • search for (or add) the words 'mtllib xxx' where xxx should be the relative path/filename for your '.mtl' file

Inside the '.mtl' file you have things like 'newmtl yyy' before each new material, where yyy is the name for the material. When you want to apply such a material to an object inside your '.obj' file, be sure that you link the '.obj' to the '.mtl' via mtllib, and add 'usemtl yyy' before your object.

uncle808us said:
So I could use the .mtl file with the .obj file I import into Cheetah?

I don't know if this has changed in the last Cheetah releases (Martin, tell me if I'm wrong), but Cheetah is able to generate '.mtl' file (fully connected to an .obj file if you export it), but can not import such a material file.

Cyril.

klog said:
I don't know if this has changed in the last Cheetah releases (Martin, tell me if I'm wrong), but Cheetah is able to generate '.mtl' file (fully connected to an .obj file if you export it), but can not import such a material file.

Hi,
yes that is true. For exporting a obj+mtl file you can use the Javascript which comes with Cheetah3D.
But Cheetah3D still doesn't read .mtl files yet. Sorry.

By,
Martin

Back