Share your key bindings

Share your key bindings

Hi -- After using the UI for my first few days with C3D, I want to use the keyboard shortcuts / bindings / hot-keys instead. I've set a number of them up. I was wondering if you'd share your killer key bindings. I might as well copy someone else's that works for them :)

Looks very efficient. I'm just starting to create mine and it's very incomplete, I have assigned only my most used tools. I'll give yours a go to see how it feels for me, thanks for sharing.

You definitely want to check out CheatSheet.app as a reminder helping tool to learn the shortcuts as it popup an oversight of your hotkeys while holding cmd key down with an adjustable delay.

Cheers
Frank

* The most important matter is to devise an intuitive and consistent logical framework for your hotkeys.
* Partly, this depends on your work-flow / modus operandi, partly it depends on the type of 3D work you are engaged in. Unfortunately, intuition and logics are rather personal and individual concepts. One size does not fit all.
* Of course, as skill and experience increases you will will find yourself using tools which you may be hardly aware of at present.

* Once you have set a hotkey it will quickly become part of your muscle memory. You will hit the keys automatically and often you won´t consciously remember the combinations. Changing hotkeys later in the game is quite frustrating as you (at least, I) will mis-key for weeks before neurons crank up their synapotogenesis.

* Basically, you got 4 prefixes (nothing, shift, alt, cmd) plus the standard keys (letters, digits, specials). Each hotkey can have from 0 to 3 prefixes. F-keys can also be used. This results in some 300odd possible hotkeys.
:unsure: If, as an educated person, you can remember 30k words of basic vocabulary, 300 new words are trivial for the above mentioned synapotgenesis.

* My system is:
ss1.png
ss2.png
ss3.png
ss4.png
ss5.png

CheatSheet.app seems really cool. thanks for that. I wish it would show it as a physical layout like the cheat sheets I made in Sketch as that helps train muscle memory.

My layout started like this because I moved over from Autodesk Maya. Thus, the similar location of the move keys. (W-R). In Maya, one can do a marquee selection, however, by simply dragging and the loop and ring selects by starting the ring and then double-clicking. In Cheetah, I needed separate hotkeys for that, hence the A-G selection hotkeys.

Snapping (X-V) is in the same location as in Maya, but in Cheetah you can just press each key to toggle between modes, unlike Maya, where the keys need to be held.

The ~ - 5 keys make selections much faster, combined with the aforementioned keys.

And then I realized I just need a ton of keys for tools like extrude and weld that I started carelessly spreading on the keyboard in no particular order until it was full which is when I started using the option-key.

Back