Creating 'portals'

Creating 'portals'

Hi,

I need to create portal polygons for a game engine.

This basically involves creating a polygon (usually just a quad) that covers a doorway.

However, I also need to identify portals at loadtime, so they really need to be added to a separate 'portals' polygon object.

I have tried adding portals to the main model object and then copying/pasting them to a separate portals object, but this doesn't seem to work.

Another alternative would be to give portal polygons their own material, but again I can't see how to do this.

Any clues on the easiest way to do this?

Hi Mark,
This basically involves creating a polygon (usually just a quad) that covers a doorway.
One way is to make your doorway and have a quad for the cover, select the cover quad and go to tools -> polygon -> split. This will produce a duplicate of the selected face (but it is a seperate object). Go back to the original object and delete the polygon you used to make the seperate quad.

I think this is the long wat round but it works. :D

Hi,

Thanks!

I tried this for a while but eventually worked out a slightly easier way: copy/paste the main model, hide the original, create portals on the copy then delete non-portals using inverse selection etc.

Bye,
Mark

Back