MacAddict Cheetah Review

Hi,
thanks for the link. :D That's great that the review is also online now.

I've already read the review a few days ago since Ricardo gave me a scan of the MacAddict review. :D

This review makes me really proud. 8) So check it out.

By,
Martin

Nice Article. Sure would of been nice if the comments about features (or lack of) were more current though. I don't understand this as things move pretty fast in the software world. Oh well.

Send them an animation Martin!

Celestia

Can Cheetah3D support Celestia's .cmod format? that would be cool

what about... .svg? or a base vector format that other mac apps can render to... like Create, or, Omnigraffle, or iDraw, or Cenon, or Intaglio.... EasyDraw is cool.. but.. well... Create is cooler! LOL land much more productive...

Hi,
you are right. I have to improve to compatibility to 2D vector file formats. But you have to consider that some of the apps you mentioned don't have a public file format definition.

At the moment only the Adobe Illustrator CS import script is availabel. See the menu command "Tools->Run Script->Illustrator CS import.js". So there exists at least a way to move data from Illustrator to Cheetah3D.

By the way the next update will have a much improvd polygon triangulator which should be finally able to process the most complex logos. :)

By,
Martin

Martin said:
By the way the next update will have a much improvd polygon triangulator which should be finally able to process the most complex logos. :)

Woo hoo! That is great news.

I was just about to start a thread asking if there was a way to get my logo to work!

Cheers,
-Jon

Hi aarku,
I've seen you in the Unity forum. So I guess you would also like the .fbx exporter/importer in the next update :wink:

By,
Martin

Hey Martin. I just upgraded to SketchUp 5 so if you need any more .fbx files to test I could send you a bunch.

Hi,
if you have some scenes with cameras and lights would be great. They don't have to be to big. Simples scenes are OK.
I just need them to test my .fbx importer.

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi aarku,
I've seen you in the Unity forum. So I guess you would also like the .fbx exporter/importer in the next update :wink:

By,
Martin

Yeah, I'll start drinking a bunch of water now so I have enough drool when you release. ;)

logonowork.jpg

That's what's happening with my logo at the moment. Just doesn't fill in those few shapes. :/

-Jon

Hi aarku,
Cheetah3D expects a consistent winding in all paths. Which means that all outer contours should either habe a clock-wise or couter clock-wise winding. The holes in a path must have the opposite winding of the outer paths.

In your screenshot it looks like that the paths don't have a consistent winding. Use the "Reverse Sequence" tool to flip the winding of a paths which aren't filled.

If it still doesn't work please send me the .jas file and I will have a closer look into it.

The features of the next update are done. I just have to test and refine them. I plan a late July release.

By,
Martin

Hi,
that looks really amazing. Great work. Man, I also need a particle system in Cheetah3D. :wink:

I'm happy to see Cheetah3D content in Unity. A tighter intergration of Cheetah3D into Unity is already on my 2.4 feature list.

By,
Martin

Tighter integration sounds like a great idea. I think slowly but surely there will be a stream of people wanting to use Unity and looking for a good modeller... it'd be nice to give them even better reasons like this to point them to Cheetah3D. (As you know, a LSCM UV unrolling tool would be another huge one. 8) ) But all the features you are working on now are very exciting too!

-Jon

Hi,
aarku said:
Tighter integration sounds like a great idea.

I've already promised the Unity guys to add a batch mode to Cheetah3D. That will allow you to add .jas files directly to Unity. So it should be possible to double click objects in Unity and than edit your .jas 3D objects in Cheetah3D without loss of any data. For example you can still edit extruded 3D fonts etc.

aarku said:
As you know, a LSCM UV unrolling tool would be another huge one. 8) )

But first I have to write a nice UV coordinate editor.

Since the main window is already quite crowded I had to write a customizeable layout manager first. That new window layout manager will come with the next update. :wink: It was inspired by Unity as you will see. That will allow me to add new views (UV editor, Javsscript console, etc.) much faster in the future.

By,
Martin

Back