3DMF Export Question

3DMF Export Question

I just read a glowing review of Cheetal3D in MacAddict, and I'm interested in using the software to create 3DMF models for use in a game made with the REALbasic programming language. My question is, are exported 3DMF models optimized for use in real-time applications like games, and, more importantly, when you export an object in the 3DMF format, are textures retained?

Since the Cheetah3D demo doesn't allow saving, I can't answer this question for myself. (Currently I use LightWave, which doesn't keep textures, so I have to use another program called Meshwork to reapply the materials to the 3DMF model before it can be used in the game.)

Thanks for the info!

Re: 3DMF Export Question

Hi,
jessimko said:
I just read a glowing review of Cheetal3D in MacAddict

I know that there should appear a review in MacAddict but I haven't seen it yet because I can't by MacAddict in germany.:cry: Could you tell me what rating Cheetah3D got? :D

Now to your questions:

Cheetah3D also exports the textures to the .3dmf file. The following link contains a 3dmf file generated by Cheetah3D.

http://homepage.mac.com/mwengenm/Cheetah3D/download/Pig.3dmf.zip

3DMF files generated by Cheetah3D should render as quite fast because Cheetah3D creates the 3dmf files in the same way as meshwork.

I hope that I could help you in your buying decision.

By,
Martin

Thanks Martin. I'm happy to see that Cheetah 3D has good exporting features. MacAddict devoted a full page to reviewing the program, and they gave it a rating of 4 out of a possible 5. And it has an "Editor's Choice" symbol at the top of the page :)

Hi,
that is really great. :D :D :D It's actually much more than I expected.

Thank you very much for the information.

By,
Martin

Back