Early English Gothic Ornamentation

Just threw this model of an arch together for a blog post I'm working on.
Dogtooth Social 02.jpg

I extruded the molding, used an array for repeating the dogtooth ornament, and used Bend modifiers to create the curve. It's a pretty rough job, but I'm happy with it.

Molding Profile.jpg

It took a few attempts to model the dogtooth unit. Eventually I used boolean intersect, and then had to delete the faces of the dogtooth, and used Fill Hole to recreate them so that the concrete material would work.

Early English Dogtooth Thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Frank. I just downloaded your file. I never thought to use the cone! That makes everything so much simpler. I edited an octahedron to create the pyramid shape. I think I need to revisit all these polygon objects and play around with them to find the simplest approaches to creating the polygons I need.

Wow - a really very well executed article in great detail. (y)
Right at the beginning I noticed the circles. But if you want to stay within the square and get some „flesh“ in the center of the ornament so it doesn't fall apart you have to trick it a bit. I'm not so keen on moving the center slightly inwards, because then the semicircles can no longer meet 100% in the corners of the square. Instead, I have stretched the circle horizontally symmetrically - mirrored, doubled and rotated by 90. However, I have not found any correct or incorrect information on how large the overlap should be and what diameter the small circles should have and where they should be positioned. I then used the overlaps as a guide for the auxiliary lines and derived everything else from there.

Wow - a really very well executed article in great detail. (y)
Right at the beginning I noticed the circles. But if you want to stay within the square and get some „flesh“ in the center of the ornament so it doesn't fall apart you have to trick it a bit. I'm not so keen on moving the center slightly inwards, because then the semicircles can no longer meet 100% in the corners of the square. Instead, I have stretched the circle horizontally symmetrically - mirrored, doubled and rotated by 90. However, I have not found any correct or incorrect information on how large the overlap should be and what diameter the small circles should have and where they should be positioned. I then used the overlaps as a guide for the auxiliary lines and derived everything else from there.
Thanks Frank
Yeah, I noticed with mine that by shifting the centre of the large arc in from the edge, the corners of adjacent teeth won't meet at the corners. Your method may be more correct. ( I'll update the post over the next few days with your observations and credit you if that's okay. My posts tend to evolve as feedback comes in. ) It's hard to know what the stone masons actually did. I'm also using bend modifiers to curve everything which obviously the stonemasons could not do.

Sure it‘s okay. I'll check this in more detail later, but by the look of it it could well be that the heigth/width of the square divided by 3 makes sense. If stretching the circles is allowed.

This looks cool Frank, and it keeps the arcs tangent to the square's boundaries, whereas in my example, the curve sweeps outside the square's boundary ever so slightly. Another approach could be to use arcs to construct an oval. I have updated my post by adding your illustration and mentioning you. Thanks for your solution. It's always good to include different and equally valid perspectives. Thank you.

Back