Is there some way for importing lines?

Is there some way for importing lines?

Hi,

I'm considering using Cheetah3D for a project. However, I'd need to import line drawings so that I can snap to some vertices for creating the 3D model (ie: using a line drawing as a template for 3D modelling).

Is there some file format that can be used for importing lines into Cheetah3D? (it doesn't matter if it's a rare format, as I develop my own inhouse software and I can write code for outputting the lines in the format that Cheetah3D requires).

I think "lines" are not listed in the Cheetah3D features list, but perhaps they could be created by splines... (just a thought). Then... any way of importing splines into Cheetah?

Another thought... could lines/splines be created from a java script? (if affirmative, maybe I can write a java script generator for my software)

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

I'm considering using Cheetah3D for a project. However, I'd need to import line drawings so that I can snap to some vertices for creating the 3D model (ie: using a line drawing as a template for 3D modelling).
You can import directly from http://www.eazydraw.com/ or make paths in Illustrator and in C3D go to: Tools -> Run script -> Illustrator CS import.
:D

fused said:
You can import directly from http://www.eazydraw.com/ or make paths in Illustrator and in C3D go to: Tools -> Run script -> Illustrator CS import.
:D
I checked the eazydraw features list and it seems it doesn't support importing lines (I'm not going to repeat the 2D drawings again, I need to import them). On the other hand, I believe Illustrator does have DXF lines import (which is just what I need), but unfortunately I don't have Illustrator... :?

I believe Illustrator does have DXF lines import (which is just what I need)
Cheetah3D imports .dxf, .3ds, .obj and .stl one of these should do what you want, if not write a javascript importer for C3D. Download the demo and give it a go.

Hi,
this is probably a job for a Javascript. Sorry that I still haven't found the time to write the Javascript documentation. :cry:

I've written a small example script which reads a very simple line file format.

Just download the attached .zip file and copy the script into the scripts folder.

I hope that helps as a starting point.

By,
Martin

Attachments

• line_loader_script_183.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 646
Martin said:
I hope that helps as a starting point.
Indeed!, it's of great help! Thanks a lot!
Now I think I'll be able to load all the 2D drawings I need for my current project.

Back