How can I animate color change... say a RED ball gradually changes to GREEN?

How can I animate color change... say a RED ball gradually changes to GREEN?

I tried animating the object, when that didnt seem to work, I tried animating the material, but still didnt work.
I figured it must be something easy but just cant seem to get it right,

Thanks!

OK, I think ! finally got it... I guess I had to click on the "P" (Key all other parameters") in the animation bar... I'm just curious now... woudl that be the proper, or the only way to make those type of color transitions?

OK, I just noticed something.. if I animate the color transition the way I stated in my last post, the color change is is applied to any other balls that are using the original RED color. Is there a way to limit so it only affects 1 out of the bunch?
I guess one solution would be to make a duplicate set of colors, so that then it would only apply to those specific objects that have it. But i think that would be kind of redundant... anyways, if anybody can help clarify or has a betetr solution woudl be great.. thanks!

You don´t have to enable "P" just make a right-click on the Record button and choose which parameter you want to be keyframed:
RecordParameters.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank - I see that works too - but it does also do it "globally" for all balls that have the same color - can it be possible to make it so it only applies to a specific ball?

Make a new material, change diffuse color and assign to the certain spheres won´t work?
I´m still confused about what isn´t working for you.

Cheers
Frank

PS.: Please stay - I want to finish this now.

Thanks Frank :)) I just mean something like this attached... I dont have a file yet, just wanting to know how I would go about setting up this color transition. The way you mention, it does work, but it makes ALL the red-spheres transition to GREEN, instead of maybe just a few ones I may want to specifically select. I just thought there was a way to tell Cheetah... "I want only theses 3 red ones to turn green". With the way you are saying, it's modifying the actual material color, so if all spehers have that material, then ALL will be affected.

So I htought there must be away to only affect specific ones - as oppsoed to having to "duplicate" the colors so it affects only the ones I want

Thanks!
molecule-compressor.jpg

OK, so if I follow you, there is really no other way but to make a different set of colors (duplicate the color-material) to affect only those I want - got it!
Thanks for keeping up with me! :)

Last edited:
I essence there are more than 2 methods to assign colors to objects but here are the most common ones:
AssigningColors1.gif

AssigningColors2.gif

Sorry - couldn´t resist as I was that far already:
Moleküle.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Wow.. I hadnt realized I could select a "grouped" mesh after objects had been merged. That's a great time-saver and easy way to apply colors too.
Thanks a lot Frank!

You can also create a material that has two color nodes (or image nodes) and then use a mix node in the middle. You can then key the mix in the timeline. I think Frank showed me that one years ago (thanks again Frank!). The only downside is you won't be able to see the color / texture in the viewport after setting this up. I use it for swapping textures all the time.

Attachments

• Color Mix Transition.jas.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 208
Back