Bird wing animation

Actually that's not a good description. I want to exclude parts of the mesh from being influenced when I move the bones.

Also I just realized how small your model is.
A good way to check on model size is to create a
parametric object like a sphere and compare to the model.

Yours is way too small and needs to be scaled up.

The problem with the distortion stems from the shape of the wing I think.
To change the influence you can Vertex Weight paint.

I agree about the shape. I've re-thought it since yesterday, and I've done a few more with better results, but still when I fold up the wing back on top of itself it's pretty bad. This has proven far more difficult than I imagined. Do you know of a rigged bird I could use for reference? I know about the size, it was given to me to animate. :( I'll scale everything up.

I would scale the parent folder 30x and you should be good to go.
I haven't seen a rigged bird yet, so I'm happy to see someone try.

It's not going to be easy in any program. But I think it's about how much time you want to put in.

That's what I did, I made a new one that is only attached to the body at the shoulder, hopefully that will help. Thanks Zoo!

Sounds good.

Should look something like this:

wingtrim.jpg

That's about the size I made it. Thanks Zoo. I'll let you know if what I'm doing works, or not (Actually I HAVE to make it work!

That looks great. The wings look similar to mine. Instead of multiple layers of feathers, I'm attaching one set of oversized overlapping ones. I hope it works. Thanks for sharing your WIP.

This was just thrown together for you to play with.
I used IK handles and the folders are null objects acting as Targets and Poles.
Move Targets for position of the wing tips and the poles for elbow direction.

I hope it helps.

Attachments

• ButterBall.zip
    20.1 KB · Views: 204
Looks really good Zoo, but that is too advanced for me, I hardly understand what it's doing! I know you are working as well, but may I ask if you could look at my project and see if you can figure out why its not keeping the replaced pivot point at the top of the feathers? I have done it repeatedly using the burn pivot as well as a keyframe. It jumps way off when I scroll the animation. The feather stays in place but the pivot moves, preventing me from aliginig the feathers down. I think if I could re-align the feathers when folded wing, it might work. If you could look at one feather you'll see this. Pick a feather and scroll to 2 sec. I appreciate it. www.andyatkins.com/client/parrot

Ok, sounds good.

You do have some problems with the scale of many objects.
I know you needed to scale the object up but may have gone about it wrong.

Basic Scale Rule- all objects should be 1x1x1

And at least be the same number for xyz like 4x4x4.

Look through your objects to see what I mean.

Back