Bird wing animation

I have a question about an animation I am doing. I need to animate a bird's wing flapping. I have the outer primary feathers as seperate objects so they can overlap when the wing folds in when it lights and spread back out as the bird flys. Is there any way I can have the feathers attached to the boned wings so they move when it flaps?

Last edited:
You could also try a Parent Constraint Tag which will allow you
to do the same thing without putting the feathers into the hierarchy.

Here I used a Parent Constraint and an Orient Constraint Tag.

bird_wing.gif

Zoo, the way the feathers hang down vertically, is that a function of the Parent Constraint or the Orient Constraint?
I've tried several different of setting on each and can't seem to duplicate this motion. Also, I'm going to ask later about the folding and pinching.
Is there a good thread you could point me to when the time comes? Thanks!

If you place the "feathers" in position before you assign the Target to the tags, and Maintain
is checked, the tag will maintain that position and fill in the offset parameters.
Then you can change and even animate the offset.

The Target for the Parent Tag is the Bone and the Orient Constraint Tag Target
is the folder that the bones are in. The folder is used for linear motion.

Here's one with animated offset for some feathers with tags and flight feathers in the bone hierarchy.

wingding.gif

Attachments

• WingDing2.zip
    34.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Zoo, the feathers I placed under the joint work fine I think, the others with the tags aren't moving with the wing. Can I upload this and have you look at it and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Got it.

The problem is the actual pivot point of all the feathers is not where it seems.
Try this step by step:

Select one of the feathers
Select the Transform Tool
Compare position XYZ of the object and the Transform Tool

If they don't Match remove or disable the Tags and then use Burn Pivot Point in the Coord System Tool.
If you Burn Pivot Point before disabling the Tags it will move to it's actual pivot point.

Burning the pivot point worked! I need to experiment with which joint controls which group of feathers, but I think I can make this work. Than you so much, I do appreciate it!

Sorry Zoo, I have another quetion if you don't mind. I need to reduce the effect of a few of the joints. I remember that I saw how to do that somewhere, but I cannot remember. Do you know of a good tutorial?

Last edited:
Back