Read Ambient Occlusion in material

Hi,

Is it possible to use ambient occlusion as a material input? let's say I have a rusty metal material, I want the edges (where water collects) to be more rusted, so I would use an inverted AO map as a mask for the rust/metal.

I'm working around this by baking the AO into a texture first and then using this texture as an input, but it gets quite tedious in complex projects as I need to keep re-baking stuff every time it changes.

Thanks!

Check out the PBR-shader:
PBRshader.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Hm... that's an AO map that I can provide to the shader. What I'm looking for is something with a AO output from a node.

So I want the get black when the AO is high and white when it's low and is it as an input for a shader.

EDIT: here's an example of where I've been using that.

I want the lava to be less intense near other objects to make it look like it cools down a little near the wall and columns.

I attached an image of the lava shading network as well as renders to compare the results with and without the AO map. I baked an AO texture that I'm using for a multiplier of the Lava intensity. Other than that, the shader is procedural. Instead of the image I would like to use some kind of AO node, because every time I change something in the scene close to the lava, I need to re-bake the texture.

Attachments

• lavaComparison.jpg
    lavaComparison.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 242
  • lavaNodes.jpg
    lavaNodes.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Seems I don´t understand exactly what you´re loking for - other than baking to AO then with different (very short) Max ray length for instance.

Cheers
Frank

I'm looking for something like the "directional" node, but instead of the surface normals, I want to get the AO.

Back