unable to cut some holes

suntzu777

Hi , i dont know if this is an issuer with the demo but i thought i would ask , i have be trying to teach myself cheetah and have run into some issues cutting holes with the boolean command. now while i can cut a hole in a box/cylinder if i heavily modify that cylinder when i come to cut a hole in it the whole cylinder and the new cylinder is cut , what seams to be happening here ? , i have checked for water tightness of the cylinder object which is now a mesh after being made editable
Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 13.26.23.png

Hi and Welcome.
Generally this should work. I´m more confused about the parametric Cylinder which is a Tube right now. So either you grab the wrong object or some strange things are happened. At least you can copy&paste&compress the Boolean.3 object into a new file and upload it into the forum.
BoxTubeBoolean.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Unfortunately you have doubled Polygons introduced (you can determine from the darker red shade of the polygon selection) which prevents the Boolean tool from working correctly of course:
DoubledPolygons.jpeg

Good news is you just need to model half of the hull again and use the symmetry modifier to make it complete. ;)

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
i used a friends computer in the same building to see if i could solve the problem first on his machine with his permission when i realised i could not save in the demo

Ok - doesn't make much sense until you modelled the hole thing again.
Did you understand/know how either to solve your problem or to avoid it next time?

Cheers
Frank

i think i got the jist of what i did wrong as i forgot to cut the object in half before mirroring, i had a go with blender before but that just messed with my head , many thanks for you help Frank

Back