Flatten the Curve (straighten a sweep tail)

[QUOTE="
So Zoo, how come remove geometry?
--shift studio.[/QUOTE]
Just trying to get it to work and may have been unnecessary.
It's not always easy or fun to work with SB.

I'm guessing a Bezier Spline was used to make this as the
longitudinal vertices increase as the curve radius decreases.
So I removed every other one at those places.

Here's my contribution::giggle:

Took all information from all contributors of this thread; put it into a box and shook it and this is what I came up with.

In an attempt to keep the tail's sides from collapsing I increased the value of the Soft Body Property: Pressure . Unfortunately because of the higher value; part of the Tail expands (blows out) too much at the beginning of the play back.:unsure:

Also I was unable to keep creases from forming during the uncurl.

I was hoping to record the tail animation with the Pressure value set at 0 in the beginning of the animation - then slowly increase the pressure so there wasn't a sudden pressure surge at the beginning. Couldn't figure out how to do that if it is possible.o_O

If that is possible could someone enlighten me?
I would be nice if different Soft Body Value Changes could be recorded throughout the animation. One could animate a balloon being inflated, etc.

Stay Safe and Healthy
I Love all of You:love:
Jeanny
Sweep Tail Uncurl ZH Alter 2.gif

Attachments

• Sweep Tail Uncurl ZH Alter 2.jas.zip
    28.8 KB · Views: 228
:unsure: On second thoughts: There is a creator script (once more, I guess, by Hiroto) to float a mesh onto a spline. Normally, you can use it to float a simplish mesh, eg a cylinder, onto a complex spline, eg a helix. It may be possible to utilise that for reverse trickery, ie floating a curvilinear tubular mesh (your helminths) onto a straight axis.
* Some quick experiments did not get me anywhere but it would need a few hours of twiddling parameters (or an analysis of the script) to verify / falsify this as an optional solution.
:rolleyes: Thanks for improving my vocabulary. Helminthology sounds like my kind of science.

Had to look up Helminths. I does sound like your kind of thing!
Whats the name of the script you are referring too?
BTW that part of the project is now finished - using standard stuff with no trickery ;)

Thanks - shift studio.

[QUOTE="
So Zoo, how come remove geometry?
--shift studio.
Just trying to get it to work and may have been unnecessary.
It's not always easy or fun to work with SB.

I'm guessing a Bezier Spline was used to make this as the
longitudinal vertices increase as the curve radius decreases.
So I removed every other one at those places.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response and effort ZooHead. Yes they were splines in sweep creators to get started.
--shift studio.

@Jeanny thanks for looking into it for me too! I played with SB tag's pressure too as it seem obvious to help it not contract in on itself. It sort of helped but getting the perfect combo of parameters eluded me.
My animation skills are basic at best so I probably couldn't have more success than you did with animating pressure (I assume you can just record it??)

--shift studio.

Here's my contribution::giggle:

Took all information from all contributors of this thread; put it into a box and shook it and this is what I came up with.

In an attempt to keep the tail's sides from collapsing I increased the value of the Soft Body Property: Pressure . Unfortunately because of the higher value; part of the Tail expands (blows out) too much at the beginning of the play back.:unsure:

Also I was unable to keep creases from forming during the uncurl.

I was hoping to record the tail animation with the Pressure value set at 0 in the beginning of the animation - then slowly increase the pressure so there wasn't a sudden pressure surge at the beginning. Couldn't figure out how to do that if it is possible.o_O

If that is possible could someone enlighten me?
I would be nice if different Soft Body Value Changes could be recorded throughout the animation. One could animate a balloon being inflated, etc.

Stay Safe and Healthy
I Love all of You:love:
Jeanny
View attachment 36014
Look How far you've come. You go girl!

@ shift
I know what you mean. There are so many properties involved and just a tiny + or - value can upset the entire results.

It seems to tease me: Some of my trials get close to what I want to achieve but not quite. . . so I try one more change, then one more change, then one more change . . .
I have literally spent weeks trying one more value change of one more property or different property only to get no-where.

I just don't know enough. I think I understand some of the makings - but not enough of all the very intricate settings.
Seems Happy Accidents are the only way I can get some sort of good results - but never what I really wanted.

@ uncle808us
Your kind, encouraging comments and help throughout my pursuit to learn C3D have meant a lot to me.
Thank You

@ shift
I know what you mean. There are so many properties involved and just a tiny + or - value can upset the entire results.

It seems to tease me: Some of my trials get close to what I want to achieve but not quite. . . so I try one more change, then one more change, then one more change . . .
I have literally spent weeks trying one more value change of one more property or different property only to get no-where.

I just don't know enough. I think I understand some of the makings - but not enough of all the very intricate settings.
Seems Happy Accidents are the only way I can get some sort of good results - but never what I really wanted.

@ uncle808us
Your kind, encouraging comments and help throughout my pursuit to learn C3D have meant a lot to me.
Thank You
Thanks same at you.
Also the comments above I agree with. It would be nice if there were clues like make it harder or softer fall faster or slower etc.

Back