Sneak Peek song cover image

It looks fantastic to me: the pristine textures on the set pieces don't bother me since I know people who are that obsessive, as well. (Most definitely not me.) The best opportunity to add imperfections and character to this scene might be found in the letters.

(Note: I spent many years on the production side of the printing industry, getting personally yelled at by the pressmen who had to implement my designs.)

When envelopes are created, they have very hard creased edges, even if that crease gets spread by shoving in overly thick contents - the visible edges of these seem pretty soft and rounded, which you would usually find in envelopes made with VERY thick paper or vellum, such as formal invitations.

Very slight, random creasing across the face of the envelopes, perhaps, based on how thick contents never quite reach all four edges of an envelope, and that mail is bundled several different times during delivery.

Given the "Return To Sender" stamp, the implication is that they've already been through the postal system, which would mean (at least) a postmark over the stamps, and (in almost all of the U.S.) a barcode printed near the bottom right corner, and possibly some sketchy trailing roller marks or ink smudges along the bottom edge as well. Seeing a tiny bit of handwriting for either address might add some naturalism, too.

And if they have been mailed already, would the paper of the envelopes be identical?

I would also consider adding imperfections to the rubber-stamp imprint, since a well-used stamp almost never makes a perfect impression.

On the other hand, I could be becoming as nit-picky as your customer is about cleanliness.

MonkeyT's arguments are very good (and reading his post I tried to imagine how a letter would look after sent back).

My intention was, though, also to say that sometimes more realism in form of dust, stain or whatever isn't what's needed. Usually I'm all for adding such things, but in this case, especially what's used for, this clean image could exactly be what's wanted (on the other hand, such a cleanliness maybe would explain why she returns the letters :)). If it was a photography the customer probably would want such imperfections photoshopped away for the cover.

But lets hope your customer doesn't see this thread.

Agreed, on all counts. When given the opportunity, I obsess over details.

The only point that truly raised a flag is if the letters have been mailed, why no postmark? If not, why the "Return to Sender" stamp?

Everything else is my own obsession, which, I would probably stamp down except for one comment from very good Illustration teacher back in college. He sat me down and said "If you're after perfection, go for it. If you feel you ever actually achieve it, step back and add a flaw. That flaw is often what can turn an image into a narrative."

It looks fantastic to me: the pristine textures on the set pieces don't bother me since I know people who are that obsessive, as well. (Most definitely not me.) The best opportunity to add imperfections and character to this scene might be found in the letters.

(Note: I spent many years on the production side of the printing industry, getting personally yelled at by the pressmen who had to implement my designs.)

When envelopes are created, they have very hard creased edges, even if that crease gets spread by shoving in overly thick contents - the visible edges of these seem pretty soft and rounded, which you would usually find in envelopes made with VERY thick paper or vellum, such as formal invitations.

Very slight, random creasing across the face of the envelopes, perhaps, based on how thick contents never quite reach all four edges of an envelope, and that mail is bundled several different times during delivery.

Given the "Return To Sender" stamp, the implication is that they've already been through the postal system, which would mean (at least) a postmark over the stamps, and (in almost all of the U.S.) a barcode printed near the bottom right corner, and possibly some sketchy trailing roller marks or ink smudges along the bottom edge as well. Seeing a tiny bit of handwriting for either address might add some naturalism, too.

And if they have been mailed already, would the paper of the envelopes be identical?

I would also consider adding imperfections to the rubber-stamp imprint, since a well-used stamp almost never makes a perfect impression.

On the other hand, I could be becoming as nit-picky as your customer is about cleanliness.
Thanks for the input, I had thought the about post mark situation but didn't research that any further.
Some handling damage to the envelopes make sense.

That anal comment I made was about the fictional character in the song, not any real person.
The customer is an old friend from high school and a very talented singer and musician.
She has the latest image now so it's up to her if she uses the new one.

There is still something I like about the first post.
To me the changes make it look a little complicated or busy;
Thus taking away from the main focus and simple elegance of the scene.
IMHO if any changes could be made, maybe, just maybe but maybe not:
a little less intensity on the blurred glow of the window. :unsure:
What would it look like if the window was moved just a fraction to the left of the view . . . maybe not.:unsure:
I know what is appealing to me but I find producing attractive composition difficult.

For no particular reason I just like your first post ZH.

I find the more artistic just slightly less than perfectly real sets the whole mood
and appeal of the scene.

I love the clever discreet placement of her musical title on the candy.:)

I find a lot of class in your composition.

The others are good too. I just so happen to like the first.
I don't have any business degree so I don't know what the consumer wants.
Me thinks Grannys have a different way of looking at things that aren't necessarily the best selling ideas. If it turned out to be best selling it would be a happy accident.
I prefer simplistic beauty - but sometimes Granny gets a little feisty and wants to see a screen pile of object and color commotion - but not too often and only if tastefully done.:giggle:

BTW I love the singer/song writer's Title.

@Monkey T and Hasdrubal.
NOT GUILTY!
Just your style and just as good as the rest.
Thank Goodness everyone is different.
I've picked up a lot of ideas from all of you. Thank You.:)

I suppose ZH knows a bit of her preferences - but then -
We all surprise each other now and then.o_O
I suspect you agree but being confined for a while (not that I'm all that outgoing)
I think I just wanted to join in and through iteration back all of you up.
Hope my comments bring happiness to everyone because I agree with everyone to some
degree.

S'Bohom (Looking for a new salutation. This one is compliments of my cuz.)
Jeanny;)

Last edited:
Well I couldn't leave it alone, so I made the stamp with the post mark and put it on the top envelope.
I did revisit the old background and I still like it but it's to bright and cheery,
the second one is more moody looking and fits the song better.

In any case she will tell me which she prefers.

FT final alt sml.jpg

@ZooHead ,

I like the added postmark on envelope. That was a good suggestion.
As was pointed out earlier, if there is a 'return to sender' stamp, then it mean the letter had gone through the mail service.

To me, it's subtle details like that give an image more realism -- whether the viewer can articulate it or not.
This was the same intent as my early suggestions (e.g. subtle dust or smudges).

Of course, the decision on how far to push for realism belongs to the artist -- or in your case, client, the one with the money :)

and I can not make the glass transparent ,which is for example this watch .when I give the glass material ,the clock dial is blacko_O
Check all of your light sources, including your HDRI. "type" must be set to "Raytracing+trans" in order to render things as transparent.

Back