Newbie question about increasing number of faces on surface

Newbie question about increasing number of faces on surface

Take a cube, and make each of the axis have 10 sections. Make it editable. Now select one of the 100 faces on one of the sides of the cube.

How do I now divide that specific face itself into something made up of 5x5 faces?

Hi Davey,
Select the specific face, right hand mouse click and go down to linear subdivide.

Hope this helps. :D

Hi,
I would have recommended the same if you could live with a 4x4 subdivision. If you really need 5x5 you have to either use the scalpel tool or the jigsaw tool. But that involves some more manual work.

By,
Martin

P.S. I've seen you in the Unity forum. The Unity game development system looks amazing. Something like that was really missing on the Mac. :D

Martin said:
Hi,
I would have recommended the same if you could live with a 4x4 subdivision. If you really need 5x5 you have to either use the scalpel tool or the jigsaw tool. But that involves some more manual work.

By,
Martin

P.S. I've seen you in the Unity forum. The Unity game development system looks amazing. Something like that was really missing on the Mac. :D

Thanks, Martin, a 4x4 will suffice. I'm just trying to increase the face count on certain faces to make a more "fine" mesh.

Re: Unity. I actually wrote the 23 page beginners tutorial and am starting work on a second, more in-depth one. If you download the demo and look at the tutorial included, you'll see I use and recommend Cheetah (as an alternate to the much higher priced 3D tools) in the tutorial.

Regards,

David

Hi,
I've already read the tutorial. :D :D Thank you very much for your nice Cheetah3D recommendation.
I really like the Unity engine and want to support it much better. That's why I've already started with a .fbx exporter.
I already was able to export a mesh from Cheetah3D to .fbx and load it into Unity. 8)

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi,
I've already read the tutorial. :D :D Thank you very much for your nice Cheetah3D recommendation.
I really like the Unity engine and want to support it much better. That's why I've already started with a .fbx exporter.
I already was able to export a mesh from Cheetah3D to .fbx and load it into Unity. 8)

By,
Martin

Excellent ... you might send an email along to nicholas@otee.dk and let him know. He'll be pleased!

That is great news...

If you have some way of executing the exporter from the command line we'll make sure that Cheetah3D files can be read directly in Unity for the ultimate coolness...

(In Maya we use its batch rendering mode to run an export script)

Hi,
I was already with support@otee.com (sorry I don't know his name) in contact. I've already talked with him about a batch mode for Cheetah3D. I also talked with Joachim Ante.

A batch mode would be very nice of course because it would allow a very tight integration into Unity. But it also involves quite some work.

But first I need a full .fbx exporter. :wink:

By,
Martin

Back