Rope Dynamics Test

Trying to learn more about the Rope and Anchor Tags.

ropetest.gif

Attachments

• Ropetest.jas.zip
    15.4 KB · Views: 324
Thanks ZH!
I'm excited about learning more about the Physics animation tools in C3D.
I appreciate that you take your tuts one step at a time and include gifs, videos, diagrams and .jas files.
It helps me absorb, apply and retain the information a lot easier.

Last edited:
Hi Jeanny,
This is my testing in order to prepare to make some tutorials.
So I will be making some tuts to share what I've found.

If there's anything in particular that occurs to you about the Physics tools,
let me know and I'll see if I can figure something out.

I'm thinking about a YouTube video as I have no more room in my Dropbox.

Last edited:
I thinking about a YouTube video as I have no more room in my Dropbox.
Theres always Clouds: Box and Mediafire I think they give you some free space and sharing is possible. I know it about Mediafire I can't remember about Box but I think they do.

Replying here to member Jeanny from my softbody posting because it's about Rope Dynamics.

It took me a while to get this to work.

I had to drastically increase the Margin Settings on the Rigid Body Tag as well as the Rope Tag.
The settings I played with include Mass, Stiffness and Damping.
Recover Shape makes it more wire like.

Also changing the animation frame rate changes the physics action.

ropehair.gif

Attachments

• RopeHair.jas.zip
    27.3 KB · Views: 288
There's a major change in the action you get between Bezier Curves and Linear settings for the rope spline.
The Bezier Spline setting is not suitable for the Rope Tag. With Linear the Stiffness setting is more like
elasticity and you can't get wire like stiffness. But with Bezier Curve you can get wire like stiffness.

Added Note: The number of points in the spline used for the rope makes a big difference in the action.
Less points in Bezier Curve setting for wire like action it seems.

Latest Test: My mistake- it's the Recover Shape setting to get wire like stiffness.

Last edited:
Thanks ZooHead!

What you have posted will help me a great deal. I'm trying to apply that information
to my CCM. I need to do it without using scripts. Would that be possible?
Our household still doesn't use PayPal so until I can use PayPal I won't be able to buy any scripts.
I haven't had much time yet to work on my project but I just wanted to let you know I really appreciate the information you have posted.

It's a bit embarrassing to be older and not up to par in worldly modernization; but here goes:

I respect it takes a lot of a persons time and effort to produce scripts and I imagine they could use the extra cash. Also I don't like to be a freeloader: I don't want to take advantage of anyone and I don't like to take without giving back somehow.

I was hoping I would find someone in the US that I know well enough who uses PayPay that I could send them a check to cover cost and expenses to forward some money via PayPal to various people (example tg_jp and various others).

I'm getting closer to taking the big leap though.
So until then; which I hope won't be much longer ... A Great Big Time Thanks to everyone
on this forum ... and especially those who have helped me Big Time.

Granny Jeanny

Thanks ZooHead!

What you have posted will help me a great deal. I'm trying to apply that information
to my CCM. I need to do it without using scripts. Would that be possible?
Our household still doesn't use PayPal so until I can use PayPal I won't be able to buy any scripts.
I haven't had much time yet to work on my project but I just wanted to let you know I really appreciate the information you have posted.
Hi Jeanny, no scripts used here. And if you do need any I can help you out.

@ZooHead
Re: No Scripts used in your rope Test:
Oops! Too tired and too quick a look. I mistook the icon for a collapsed Spline with the Icon for a Script. They do look a lot alike at a quick un-concentrated glance. I also mistook the title "Polygon to Spline" that you gave the Spline in the Sweep Creator as an indication that the item was a Script.
Re: Offer to help: Thanks. Will take you up on it.
Collapsed Spline Icon.jpgScript Icon.jpg

Last edited:
I may have used that PolygontoSpline script but it's not needed as you can make splines without it.

I will say that it might be a good script to start with as it's very useful, as I hope to illustrate soon.

It can be very confusing trying trying to get a specific action.

Here's one I've been thinking about for some time:

Animated- You've got poles with lights on wires strung across them and something
hits one of the poles. This is not something I would want to manually animate.

I knew Cheetah Dynamics would handle this if I could figure out how to attach lights to the "rope/wire".

Since the Rope Tag uses a Spline the Particle Spline worked perfectly,
using the start and end parameters to trim the first and last light from the wire.

Back