Cheetah3D 7.4.2 Release

Thanks for the update. I'm curious to see any info regarding the Mac Pro 7,1's performance with C3D.
Is there any reason to update if you're not using the new Mac Pro?

Thanks,
--Shift Studio.

Thanks for the update. I'm curious to see any info regarding the Mac Pro 7,1's performance with C3D.

Yes, that would be interesting. Does anybody already have one?

Is there any reason to update if you're not using the new Mac Pro?
I forgot to add the changelog. Here is it:
  • Added support for new Mac Pro with up to 28 cores
  • Added fog object to main menu
  • Upgraded Cheetah3D to XCode 11
  • Fixed bug in sweep creator object
  • Fixed tag copy & paste bug
  • Fixed normal update bug when disabling modifiers
  • Fixed multi-threading bug in normal calculation

Sadly I cannot justify buying myself a Mac Pro.

I may buy the next iteration of the 16” MBP, but I’m kind of holding out for a ARM-powered MBP.

Reactions: CpH
I have a 28 core Mac Pro (2019) and I have been using it with Cheetah3D 7.4.1. I have noticed no issues. C3D used all 28 cores with no problem (looked at it in Activity Monitor). Rendering is blazing fast. I did an 8K x 4K movie animation of a gigantic fractal model with 715974 vertices and 1073685 triangles. It rendered in only 5 sec per frame. The movie is located at the bottom of my tutorials post about making vr 360 degree videos https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/13590/. I will try the new version.

I have a 28 core Mac Pro (2019) and I have been using it with Cheetah3D 7.4.1. I have noticed no issues. C3D used all 28 cores with no problem (looked at it in Activity Monitor). Rendering is blazing fast. I did an 8K x 4K movie animation of a gigantic fractal model with 715974 vertices and 1073685 triangles. It rendered in only 5 sec per frame. The movie is located at the bottom of my tutorials post about making vr 360 degree videos https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/13590/. I will try the new version.
So jealous!

I briefly tested version 7.4.2 with my 28 core Mac Pro. Its hyper-threaded so 28 cores and 56 threads. Rendering the 8K x 4K movie I mentioned above version 7.4.1 ran 2600-2800% CPU (signifying 26-28 threads) and the new version 7.4.2 runs ~3500% or so CPU (~35 threads). It updates the render window during the animation better now and the speed seems a little faster.

Could you please render the WiskyGlass.jas sample scene which comes with Cheetah3D. I'm curious how long it takes.

I rendered the WhiskeyGlass.jas sample scene without changing any settings on the 28 core Mac Pro and it took 7.58 seconds. It was 640 x480 and using the Falcon render engine.

Thanks for running the test scene. My MacPro with 12 Cores takes 21 sec. So the new 28 core Mac Pro is roughly 3x faster. That's pretty close to what I would have expected.

I rendered the WhiskeyGlass sample scene too for comparison. My mac is 2013 Mac Pro with 6 cores (with D700s and 64GB ram). It took 35.63s. So Fracton's Mac Pro is ~ 5x faster than mine in this case.

--shift studio.

Hi,
I've just released Cheetah3D 7.4.2. It adds support for the new Mac Pro with 28 cores and fixes some smaller bugs.

Possible Bug: (may be circumstantial)

I've been using 7.4.2 since the release on Mojave and never had any issue, but this week I updated the OS to Catalina (wiped the drive, clean install of Catalina and used Migration Assistant from a Super Duper clone) and now the status indicators for the dropdowns in the 3D view are missing. The dropdowns themselves still work, and since I'm familiar with what is where, it's not a big issue for me.

I'll re-install Cheetah3D this weekend and see if that fixes it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.02.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.02.24 PM.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 303
When you say you made a clean install etc pp did you shut down and restart your Mac already? I´m not speaking of a restart only.
I believe Martin fixed these issues already - can´t test by myself as I got an ancient iMac.

Cheers
Frank

I shut down briefly immediately after the Migration Assistant ran, but not since I started running apps again. I'll give it a shot.

There was also a version of the original C3D 7.4 Application on the drive during the restoration, but I removed it before running 7.4b2. Reference links might have gotten twisted up with that, I suppose, which is why I plan to re-install 7.4b2.

Thanks for your help.

Good to hear Cheetah3d is running fine again - I wonder though what kind of setting it was in the App-Supp-folder which was causing the issue.

Cheers
Frank

Back