Light Refraction

joel ruiz c

It took 425,840 samples per pixel to get this good (noise wise)

04.png

Attachments

• Light Refraction.zip
    107.5 KB · Views: 295
15200 SPP

Practically the whole scene is being lit by refracted and reflected light. The light is yellow, and all other objects are default white except for the bright red piece on the left. That being said, I wish refracted light would reach a noise free state sooner, it takes a long time.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool stuff. I've never spent enough time practicing with 3d lighting like I should. It makes a huge difference in how the scene turns out. In most of the scenes I've ever set up, I've pretty much just guessed a bunch until it kind of looks ok. Even jamming lights right up next to an object to force highlights in places I want them. Which can be difficult to balance so areas aren't blown out. I'm sure anyone with real world lighting experience would laugh at my 3d lighting methods. LOL

Since AMD has an API for ProRender and there are some built in denoiser functions, possibly if Martin ever incorporates some of those features into Falcon, it could help speed things up? Although I don't know enough about programming to know if that's easy or even possible to combine the two.

I have a few different 3d apps with different rendering engines (C4d, Blender, Modo) (Redshift, Cycles4d, Octane) and I've used some of the built in denoiser functions there and they work pretty well. Most of the denoisers are Nvidia based. But hopefully more AMD/Metal ones will come about with time.

I'd love to have a denoiser in C3D. I'm constantly wanting to render animations but stop when I think that it would probably take weeks. I've considered breaking down the renders in chunks (since I do this as a hobby, not work) and let it render whenever I'm not using the mac, but I haven't done that yet. I guess a denoiser would somewhat decrease render times and every bit helps.

As a photographer I'm very interested in light, real or simulated, so I do this kind of projects, both real and simulated. I understand what you say placing lights just to force highlights, I guess you could do that in real life too lol.. I have never thought of forcing a highlight, perhaps if I was a product photographer I would. With the pumpkin I placed a blueish light close to the sign to force it being cooler than the rest of the scene, just a small touch. I would do it in real life too.

I've taken a few photography classes, but I've never done any studio set ups. My boss has done a bunch of them, so he tries to guide me when setting up those type of scenes. Most of my stuff for work would be considered product shots. So he has me do most of them in 3d now versus him setting up backdrops and lights like he used to do. I can set up a scene rather quickly now, where a real studio lighting shot could take half a day or more. It would probably be helpful for my 3d scenes for me to take a class on real world studio lighting.

One perk of 3d lights is that the camera can be hidden from view and reflections, shadows etc. can be more easily controlled. I've done a mix of freelance 3d jobs and it is tough to keep up with quick revisions and then also render the finals quickly enough for the client to use. It's one of the reasons I started getting into using Redshift and Cycles(Cycles4d) is that the GPU can in a lot of instances render much faster than a CPU. Unless you're using a render farm. It's not too bad for still shots, but when animations are being done, that's where it starts getting painful. I've had a few instances of not noticing a problem with a render until after letting an animation go for a few days. Then had to re-render the whole thing again.

My dad was a fighter pilot in the US Air Force, and always said that pilots always want more speed. Which is the same for us people that are into 3d rendering. :D

Social and portrait photography is much simpler than product. The most complex lighting I've done is a 4 light setup, that I remember. A couple of flags and three different modifiers, stripbox, softbox and beauty dish. I've seen some crazy lighting setups for product but I haven't tried myself. I usually use one or two lights in a session outdoors (my main activity)

This is a two light setup, three if you count the sun lol..

I wonder if SR-71 pilots would want more speed :LOL:

... In most of the scenes I've ever set up, I've pretty much just guessed a bunch until it kind of looks ok. Even jamming lights right up next to an object to force highlights in places I want them. Which can be difficult to balance so areas aren't blown out. I'm sure anyone with real world lighting experience would laugh at my 3d lighting methods. LOL

lol - me too haha.

Last edited:
Social and portrait photography is much simpler than product. The most complex lighting I've done is a 4 light setup, that I remember. A couple of flags and three different modifiers, stripbox, softbox and beauty dish. I've seen some crazy lighting setups for product but I haven't tried myself. I usually use one or two lights in a session outdoors (my main activity)

This is a two light setup, three if you count the sun lol..

I wonder if SR-71 pilots would want more speed :LOL:

Nice photography! I've only ever done black and white photography out on the streets. Then everything was developed in a dark room.

The SR-71 pilots probably do want more speed, even though they'd likely pass out from G-Force! I've stood next to a few of these. They are massive. There's one at the Pensacola Naval Air Museum. https://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/

I'm amazaed that such an old machine still holds the speed record. Of course with the satellites it was not necessary anymore but still.. I remember as a kid reading all I could about it, it was a magical thing. Lucky you to see the real thing.

I'm interrupting the refraction render now, I need to work on something else :rolleyes:

Back