UV texture pinching

joel ruiz c

First of all I have to say I'm a complete newbie in regards to UV mapping, I have no idea what I'm doing. So I was following a tutorial on youtube for blender, thinking it would translate to C3D just fine. I think I did everything as in the video.

Anyway, here's my problem. How can I avoid the texture deformations around the holes of the ball, and also the texture dots look smaller towards the tips of the ball and larger at the center. I mean, I can see why this happens, but how to avoid it?

wireframe

UV

Photoshop

The Blender tutorial result:

And the author's diffuse texture (he included the blender file and textures)

The tut:

Last edited:
First of all I have to say I'm a complete newbie in regards to UV mapping, I have no idea what I'm doing. So I was following a tutorial on youtube for blender, thinking it would translate to C3D just fine. I think I did everything as in the video.

Hi Joel,

as you all know I am a complete tyro at Cheetah and 3D in general, but very eager to learn. From your referenced Blender 2.79b tutorial I am reminded that Blender is a wonderful but abstruse app (even in its 2.8 guise) and is not usable in any Mac within my means. You seem to say that you have been able to mimic each step used in the Blender tutorial in Cheetah 3D - is this the case?
If so then I will put aside a month or so and try it myself

Hello @SOF, I was looking for an easy way to model a football and found that blender tutorial. The modeling itself can be replicated in C3D and any polygon based app, and it was actually the way I thought I would do it before watching it. I used the soft selection tool instead of some other tool he used (to get the shape of the tips). The UV mapping is certainly the same as in blender in this case, of course the tools are not exactly labeled the same but it works the same in this basic level, I'm a complete newbie in regards to UV mapping but it was clear enough.

My pinching problem is probably due to the fact that I'm using a subdivision modifier as @ZooHead was kind to tell me in the gallery section, I still haven't corrected it but I will today.

Your UV coordinates are not ideal. With the football shape you can get around the spherical projection distortion quite easy since it has natural seams. I would suggest using UV seams and Unwrapping using ABF.

Something like this…
Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 2.28.04 PM.png
The seams are marked in green.

This should give you a pretty much distortion free unwrap. You could also weld the seam along a short section of the top where the laces go without too much distortion. It is not necessary, but could make it easier to map the laces.

Back