Six Axis Robot Arm Demo

Thanks Joel, and thank you for reigniting my interest in the Falcon renderer.

The animations for this thread are done in Falcon set to 500 spp, the last one took 11 hours for a ten second clip.
I used only the cayley interior 4k HDRI from HDRIHaven, with clamp set to 500, for lighting.

It's so cool to get hard shadows from the HDRI.

Thanks Joel, and thank you for reigniting my interest in the Falcon renderer.

The animations for this thread are done in Falcon set to 500 spp, the last one took 11 hours for a ten second clip.
I used only the cayley interior 4k HDRI from HDRIHaven, with clamp set to 500, for lighting.

It's so cool to get hard shadows from the HDRI.

Nice to see this animation rendered in Falcon, in my opinion it looks much better.

And yes! hard shadows from HDRIs are awesome, I'm glad I found that clamp thing..

The next project is a 6 axis welding robot modeled after Fanuc's ARC Mate 120ic.
This poses some problems due to it's offset elbow joint.

Here I used the previous rig to simulate the action of welding.
Now I need to transfer the motion of the weld gun spline to two
different parts that make up the elongated wrist joint of this robot.

weldbot_testing.gif

Last edited:
Nice looking animations. I'm a bit partial to the mechanical ones since that's mostly what I do. I need to practice IK rigging though as I'm sure it would help me with the stuff I'm working on.

P.S. I did some renders in Octane that took 3 days each for roughly 30 seconds of animation. They were projected on a large screen though at an outdoor event. So the resolution had to be high enough where it wouldn't pixelate while on screen. There were something like 7 total animations to render. Took several weeks to render all of them.

Thanks Swiz, the process for mechanical rigging is so much easier than
character rigging since there's no reason for binding and vertex painting.

Plus you can edit or replace the component objects at any time.
Sometimes the IK is a bit frustrating, but if I keep trying, I can usually make it work.

Did you get to see the animations on the large screen?

Did you put together the video in post #7 ? By which I mean the animation, titles, voiceover etc. ?

Whether you did or not, the animation on its own is really great work. Top stuff.

No it's not an animation in post 7, it's a video demo from the manufacturer.
I just wanted to show what inspired me to start this project.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks, the welding robot model I'm building now will
have an art deco design, so it will look quite different.

Thanks Swiz, the process for mechanical rigging is so much easier than
character rigging since there's no reason for binding and vertex painting.

Plus you can edit or replace the component objects at any time.
Sometimes the IK is a bit frustrating, but if I keep trying, I can usually make it work.

Did you get to see the animations on the large screen?

Hi Zoo, No I wasn't there for the event. It was in Las Vegas while I’m in Atlanta. It would have been fun though. The girl that hired me to do the renders sent some videos she took with her phone. I didn't set up the 3d scenes though. I just optimized them some and then rendered them. The guy that made the scenes didn’t factor in how long it would take to render them. I've never uploaded them anywhere since I didn't really create the scene files. And I didn't post them here because they were done in C4d with Octane as the renderer. I can find some still shots when I get home though if you want to see any?

My tower at home just sits there most of the day while I'm at work, so I got paid to just let it crank the renders out all day. Having more GPU's would be nice, but those MacPro5,1 towers can only hold 1 high end card without modding the PSU. I'll probably build a Windows render box eventually with several high end GPU's.

Right now for my mechanical animations, I pretty much just throw a pose tag on everything that moves and put them in all the positions that they need to go in. Then I record the keyframes (usually at 1 second intervals to make it easier) and come back at the end to adjust them. I'll have to give the IK a go on my next project just to see how it comes out.

Back