Logo with Boolean Cut script

joel ruiz c

I just want to thank Hiroto @tg_jp for all of his wonderful scripts, without them I wouldn't be able to imagine things like this. I know it is nothing spectacular but I like the idea of animating this as an opener for some videos and I'm sure it will look cool :)

What I did:

1. Extruded my logo
2. Sweept my logo (metal profile)
3. created one long cylinder, turned 90º
4. Created a Particle Array with 96 instances in the Y direction
5. Command "Particle to Polygon"
6. Used Hiroto's Boolean Cut several times with the splines of my logo
7. Bob's your uncle

I know this could probably be done directly with the boolean tool "intersect" and a second extrusion of the logo, but I have tried those commands more than a few times and I always seem to run into trouble. One I can recall happening more than once is, after invoking the boolean operation I get nothing, the two objects are gone and there's no object resulting from the operation. That has happened to me a few times, so I decided to give the script a go, and it works nicely. I did get a few error messages that I will post in the script thread, but in the end it worked fine.

Last edited:
Question guys..

Is there a way to add a modifier that affects all children in a hierarchy? For example, if I want to bend all the parts in this logo, how should I do that? Is it at all possible?

Edit.. is it possible without merging, as that would be a destructive process.

Last edited:
Sure no problem, but I have moved forward with the merge. I backed up the file before hand, so if this can be done without merging that would be sweet.

This is the result so far with the objects merged.

And this is before the merge:

The simple answer is no. You just can assign copies of the applied modifier to the other objects manually - but will run pretty easy in trouble when rotations are involved.
Better work on a merged copy of it.

Cheers
Frank

That's what I thought. In this case it's ok, I really don't "need" the objects separately, but I can easily imagine situations where it would be awesome to be able to apply modifiers to a hierarchy. I don't know the reasons why this has not been implemented, but it will make a good post in the wish list forum.

I believe it´s already there for modifiers on whole folders. But I doubt this is a trivial thing or even possible because every element can have its own transform matrix. I have no idea how to overcome this with one modifier.

Cheers
Frank

Modifiers on whole folders? what do you mean?

And yes, I really don't know what I'm talking about, I just imagine "ok if a modifier can be applied to merged objects, it should be possible to apply it to them as separate objects" but what do I know? I gather from what you're saying that once objects are merged they share the same transform matrix, whatever that means, and that makes it possible, since they behave like a single mesh. The sad thing is that it's a destructive process and as far as I know they cannot be separated after being merged.

* When the subelements of a merged mesh are not contiguous (are seperate meshes not sharing an edge) it is still possible to perform a split (= unmerge).
* Select a random poly of submesh #1
* Activate Expand Selection (preferably a hotkey, which you can keep depressed) until nothing happens any more
* You should now have selected the entire submesh of the selected component
* Activate Split, rename and edit as required

* In my sample I have a set of 3 tori merged into one object
* I can easily take the middle / yellow one out of the set (at the time of the screen shot I had not selected all of the quads), split and individually edit this

Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 14.52.56.png

Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 14.54.20.png

I was talking about Splitting based on Polygon selection: (0-24)
It works no matter if separated parts merged or Boolean welded:
PolySelectionSplit.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Back