Create a Pumpkin shape. Should be easy, shouldn't it?

Hiya folks, I'm trying to create a Pumpkin shape. I've created some really complex models over the years so have a fairly decent level of knowledge, but with the time of year approaching I thought, well it's pumpkin time. So starting out I suddenly figured "Hang this is a really basic shape, why am I struggling?". I've tried everything I can think of, A sphere with edge selections expanded, then subdivision modifier etc, almost a pumpking but doesn't look right, then the most promising a ring modifer on a sphere and the shapes brought in tightly with overlap, then make editable/combine and there we go, we have the shape I'm after. But then starting the carve up for the lid and features the original structures are still intact inside, not just the surface only, which is what I'm after.

Does anybody know, (I'm highly confident somebody does) can I get rid of the gunk inside the combined ring spheres so just the surface that I can cut chunks out of and shell (trying differnt selections techniques but no joy there), or is there an easier way I can create a pumpkin shape?

I've attached some pics to demonstrate my blundering approach. Any help will be really appreciated, I have now pulled out what remaining hair I have.

I'm using Version 6x by the way.

Thanks

Ben

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 16.48.32.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 16.48.54.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 16.49.23.png

Uh - you´ re on v6 - then no soft-selection for you and no nGon Booleans.
Then I`d model one section plus ring modifier.

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank, really appreciate your time, I thought I'd give it a go and before replying, and yes just been searching soft selection, "where is it, where is it?" I'm thinking and then looked on version specs and is V7. (I suppose upgrade is about time for me then). I tried just one section and 'ringing it' as one of my previous attempts and didn't get results I was after, but to hear you suggest that method means that is a route I should probably try with more focus on the surface/model of the just one section. It really helps to hear that, because it stops me trying and thinking of many different ways around this and look at one method and work a bit harder and longer to get it right.

It's such an odd shape in the sense it is so basic visually, but really frustrating to try an get.

I'll have a go at this later on and if successful will post a response with images etc for future searches of 'pumpkin'.

Bless you Frank, thanks again

Hmmm... 10 ring spheres, made editable, sphere inside Boolean, then cylinder (wider than would normally have just to see inside) in the top boolean again. Kind of getting there but a load of inverted/non-selectable faces (not sure of correct name for that).

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 18.03.49.png

Thank you Frank, that is superb! And thanks for including the sample file I'll play around with that. Thank you for your time and help, really is appreciated.

-Ben

Woke up this morning and thought, I'm over-thinking it, extruded panels. And it appears to be working. I haven't created my pumpkin piece I intend yet (still a month to go) but got a workable technique. I'm sharing it here for anybody else that in 5 years time does a forum search after spending most of the day going bonkers trying to get a pumpkin shape (or beachball or similar).

Pumpkin Render.jpg

Step by step process here:

1) Start with a disc number of side 10 (or desired number)
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.29.17.png

2) Make Editable and delete outer sections so just middle, this is important otherwise the pumpkin will have internal structures.
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.29.30.png

3) Select face and use the right-click extrude out (not be confuse with the creator extrude tool).
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.30.31.png

4) Right click extrude these faces again using right-click Extrude. Important ensure Preserve Group is not ticked in the properties panel for extrude.
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.31.49.png

5) Add some right-click Ring Cuts down the body in Edges View. Does not matter too much at this point how many or where as these will be tweaked and more added if necessary later.
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.32.28.png

6) Now using right-click - Selection - Loop Select select in edges and expand or contract all directional sizing using the modifier. Add more ring cuts in edge mode if needed to get a desired shape and resize and vertically re-position. Aiming for a rather angular looking ball.
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.36.34.png

7) Add Subdivision modifier. Loop select edges resize and reposition vertically for ideal shape with Subdivision modifier on.
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.40.21.png

Further considerations: After this use Boolean shapes to cut holes in the pumpkin, (I created a path for the face in vector software and imported as PDF and extrude to make my shape for the boolean). Try not to use too many iterations in the Subdivision modifier as it will be a really over-complicated shape. With the Boolean holes displaying as cut out, the inner needs to be right-click and Shell to creat3 the pumpkin skin depth. This is done by selecting all faces in Faces mode on the original shape. All of this can be done whilst retaining the Boolean structure so the boolean holes can be modified for size and position .
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.46.15.png

Add materials, lighting, bump maps etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.46.57.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.46.57.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 187
Frank that is cracking! Much quicker! Excellent thanks, I have learn't something new there, never knew you could do that, really useful for so many different applications/scenarios. I'm going to have a play with that technique now.

Ha ha yes that is a challenge!

Just been trying that technique out, I have never since 2008(ish) ever considered using inner extrude on an edge, have always thought/presumed they are used on faces. Just tried it, great way to make orange segments if pushing it a bit further. Just need a reason to make orange segments now. Thanks again - Ben

Thanks Frank, didn't know those at all, just tried them out, it now needs a re-training of muscle memory to use them. The 50% ring cut is incredibly useful.

Back