Transparency issues collada import

joel ruiz c

Hello! I imported a model from MakeHuman in collada format. The transparencies for hair, eye brows and eye lashes look ok in the viewport, but they don't render as transparencies, I tried both cheetah and falcon, is there a solution?

cheetah

falcon

We´re using probably different versions of MH as mine don´t have extra geometry for brows+lashes:
MH.jpg

Do you have "Raytrace+trans" as shadow type enabled at your light source?

Cheers
Frank

I added them in the geometry tab in MakeHuman, they look great in the viewport. And yes I enabled raytrace + trans on all lights..

I know.. us newbies! haha

Hey I think that "use alpha channel" and "index of refraction = 1.0" should be on by default. I mean, if the texture has an alpha it should be used automatically, and for this the IoR should be 1 by default. But that's only my opinion..

I know.. us newbies! haha

Hey I think that "use alpha channel" and "index of refraction = 1.0" should be on by default. I mean, if the texture has an alpha it should be used automatically, and for this the IoR should be 1 by default. But that's only my opinion..

For a so-called newbie, your work impresses every time!

You can set up your own 'default' material if you'd like with IOR set to 1.0 and attributes too.
I believe I also set my specular to black in my default material.
These days I use the PBR shader every time that I can (instead of default 'Material' shader).
If you use a PNG with transparency, it automatically uses the 'alpha' - but some possible exceptions if memory serves me.

I've been using an app called Plant Factory lately. When you load a texture map that has an alpha it asks if you want the alpha to be used as an alpha for the material by default. Thats nice!

Keep up the great work!
--shift studio.

That's very cool.. and now that we're on this.. how do you place all those small support pieces under the rails? is there a script for that or are they mesh or spline particles.. or how? :unsure:

For a so-called newbie, your work impresses every time!

You can set up your own 'default' material if you'd like with IOR set to 1.0 and attributes too.
I believe I also set my specular to black in my default material.
These days I use the PBR shader every time that I can (instead of default 'Material' shader).
If you use a PNG with transparency, it automatically uses the 'alpha' - but some possible exceptions if memory serves me.

I've been using an app called Plant Factory lately. When you load a texture map that has an alpha it asks if you want the alpha to be used as an alpha for the material by default. Thats nice!

Keep up the great work!
--shift studio.

I almost miss your first answer..

Thanks! I see the work of many of you here and I def am I newbie lol.. the thing is I've been on and off doing 3D so it's been a long time since I first started, but I haven't been very consistent, I plan to change that this time :)

That's a great idea, changing the default material, I didn't know I could do that, thanks for the tip. I'm also trying to use the PBR shader more now, after I read it was a recent addition and PBR means physically based.. so I'm all for it! I need to learn how to make the most out of it.

Cheers!

Edit.. BTW, I tried using the PBR shader in my anchor scene, but the metal shader was still better looking than PBR so I used metal instead.. :rolleyes::LOL:

@joel ruiz c the small supports pieces under the rails were created with a particle spline. The individual components are sweep creators.
particlespline-with-sweeps.jpg

I've also attached a file to play with. Have fun.
--shift studio

Attachments

• Particle Spline, Sweep Rails.zip
    84.2 KB · Views: 222
Back