Using modifier for one STL is the best solution?

I have created a 3d model in STL and another service (DesktopHero). It exports an STL file.
lipedema.png

Now I am trying to edit it with Cheetah3D.
I want to modify the leg size to represent the various stages of the lipedema disease. As seen here:
lipedema_estagios_clinicos_-b.jpg

I thought of using the modifiers (bulge?), but it modifies both legs at the same time, and partially even the hands.
Captura de tela 2019-09-25 11.13.54 cópia.jpg

What is the best solution for this?

I wish to 3dprint those models later.

I don't understand why this model is already in STL format.
I'd probably use soft selection in point mode in combination with normal move.
Or the brush tool.

Cheers
Frank

* Existing modifiers seem to provide no clean solution.
* Same as Frank: I suggest point recording. Either select clusters of polys (tris in this case) or see if soft selecting points is useful. Then apply a normal move.
* Expand / reduce the selection as determined by the growth of fatty deposits in subsequent keyframes.
ss1.png

ss2.png

* PS re point recording: The topology (in the sense of number of faces / edges / points) must be static from start to end. Do not add any geometry during point recording.

Attachments

• Lipedema.gif
    Lipedema.gif
    345.3 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
I don't understand why this model is already in STL format.
I'd probably use soft selection in point mode in combination with normal move.
Or the brush tool.

Cheers
Frank
thats the format exported by the app, I can change it to whatever better format, but to 3d print later I will need to export as stl again

I understand - but I'd keep on working with quads until I'm finished and there's no need to triangulate the mesh, because this will happen during the export process to stl.

Cheers
Frank

* Your current, fairly fine grained (STL tris based) topology of the body may not simplify modelling subsequent steps in animating lipedema.
* My limited research implies that, geometrically, this is not a constant expansion from hip to toe.
* Rather, it seems to be a lipid blob formation centered on local malfunctioning lymph nodes (sorry, I know nothing about this and may be wrong). You may want need deep folds between these blobs to show the phenomenon properly.

* Also to be considered:
1 As lipidinous folds grow, they are subject to gravity and will sag between keyframes.
2 I assume that they must not overlap to provide a clean / watertight STL mesh (again, no idea as I do not generate 3D prints).

* In the end, all you require is n (3, 4, 5, whatever) stages of the progress of lipedema for a 3D print. This should be trivial once the basic keyframes show a clean / correct topology thereof.

* Suggestion: Upload a single leg (via area select and split) of your current STL 3D model for some experiments. BTW: You current model, wearing baggy trousers, seems to be not ideal for the purpose.

* You may want to investigate the brush tool. The geometry (quads or tris) does not matter.
* Setting radius and focus allows customising the shape of the fatty bumps.
* You can also fiddle the fallout curve do influence the shape of the cellular clusters.

:sick: PS: I discovered that feet / hands are not effected by lipoedema, so please ignore this part of my example above. I did only briefly read up on this phenomenon.

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 09.34.50.png

:unsure: Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought that you were referring to a normal move or a transform which does work nicely with a soft selection.

* Yep, with push & pull I can also achieve a nice bumpy surface which closely resembles the lipoedema images in the web.

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 10.47.21.png

Back