How to model a rope?

:oops: Serendipity:
* After a spot of experimenting and fiddling, this Java Script (thank you, Todd) can be used in conjunction with the build modifier for some (potentially) useful animations. Multi-strand helices on some random base can be generated quite smoothly in separate sequences.
* In my own area of modelling, it may be useful in DNA based bits of genetic processes / protein synthesis, etc. This being a hierarchy of parametric “out-of-the-box” objects permits a multitude of keyframing trickery.
* Thank you, Joel Ruiz! You added something useful to my tool box.

PS: Sorry, for obscure reasons I can not upload a simple GIF of 560 KB.

I have no idea how I added something useful to your tool box :LOL:, but I'm glad! and certainly would love to see what is it that you came up with. I loved this little script.. I need to take a plunge in the scripts thread and see what other gems are hidden there!

So.. any examples that you can share?

* Which scripts you see useful is just a matter of your interests in modelling.
* Also, be careful as some of the older scripts may not be quite compatible with the current version of C3D V7. A few need to be used with caution as they may result in veeery long loops depending on the parameters.
* A random selection:
1 Grid Spline, 2D or 3D, which builds a simple cubic linear grid
Screenshot 2019-09-21 at 20.10.11.png

2 Particle Connector, which links units of a random particle mesh with linear / curved splines
Screenshot 2019-09-21 at 20.10.28.png

3 Voxellation, which turns mesh faces (3-gons and 4-gons, at least) into cubicles
Screenshot 2019-09-21 at 20.10.44.png

4 Blow Up, which explodes a given mesh into the component n-gons
Screenshot 2019-09-21 at 20.11.07.png

5 Some fractals are useful, trees for bifurcation, etc
Screenshot 2019-09-21 at 20.11.18.png

* I hope you enjoy experimenting. You seem to be a person of curiosity and creativity.
Servus from Vienna, EU

That's awesome, thanks @Helmut. This is something that's needed: I know there's a master list of the scripts with links, but there is no graphical description of what they do, like you did with these 5. It really makes me want to try them all. I think the master list should be updated with these graphical representations, new users would find it compelling to begin exploring the scripts. I wish I knew js scripting.

Back in the day when I used Electric Image, it had a super cool feature. You could add expressions in the timeline, and it was not really a complex scripting language at all. It was like.. when object 2 reaches y=3, move object 4 to whatever. With absolutely no knowledge about scripting I could create animations based in those expressions. I made a TV comercial about prepaid phone cards, I animated 1 phone card and other 9 cards followed it graciously and I could vary the way that happened by just adjusting a few parameters in the timeline, it was really great. Too bad I lost those files and the resulting animation :cry: I would post it here as an example and for the wish list thread.

Edit.. it would also be nice if we as users report to podperson (he created the master list and can edit it) or a forum moderator which scripts stop working with the latest version of C3D. I want to try "Curls (splines)" by filip c but I'm reading it doesn't work? I'm going to try right now. (update: it works, but it's temperamental that thing! :))

Last edited:
* This seems like a constructive idea.
* I have no problem to generate a small library of screen shots to illustrate the Java scripts contained in @podperson ´s master list. I guess there must be some simple way for Tonio to transfer the JPEGs into his list. He seems to speak Strine (which I studied for 20 years on site) quite fluently.

Back