System Requirements for good render

SOF

Hi all,

trouble here again!!! I have finished PDF formatting and printing out the web site of even-u's wonderful PBRtist, and its help file embedded in the content package, and that has lead me onto Rene66's fantastic Lipstick Group posting in 2015. However I am left with a sense of doom and frustration when I render out the provided Cheetah file:

https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?attachments/26997/

on my antiquated 2009 iMac running High Sierra.

As you can see:

Cheetah3D is Mac/OSX only, so how can a render of the quality shown in the posting be achieved?

Please do not tell me to buy the latest Mac Pro (when it comes out), or a Hackintosh, as my funds are very limited and as I have said, I am a humble dipper and dabbler.
image.png

Last edited:
Nothing is lost. Just check the light source. In this case the HDRI light. Because you don´t have the original "StudioF.hdr" Cheetah3d fill in a white blank image with a question mark which will blow out the image. Try the "Entrance_hall_pano_small.hdr" which comes with the Cheetah3d download. If you can´t locate it on your hard-disk open Help: Cheetah3d sample->Rendering->Illustrator tutorial.jas and copy and paste the HDRI Light object into the Lipstick scene and delete the former light source by selecting and hitting the backspace key.
... and the rendering should look something like this unless you leave every setting untouched of course:

Lipsticksample.jpg

PS.: or load this one into the HDRI light source after unzipping for example:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• studio011small.hdr.zip
    84.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Thanks Frank, as always you are a 5 star rating. StudioF.hdr was used in LipColor-Sample.jas , and I have down loaded it as well.
Please see the screen dump of my Props. and Objects
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 13.47.29.png

Bob

Last edited:
Please blur the serial number of your Mac in the screenshot!
... and show a new render please to make sure we nailed the issue.

Cheers
Frank

Please blur the serial number of your Mac in the screenshot!
... and show a new render please to make sure we nailed the issue.

Cheers
Frank
Fantastic!!! New render took 26.33 secs!! But what was wrong with the original HDR.

However its VERY comforting that I can keep up with the big boys!! ps I have deleted the iMac details.
Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 13.59.09.png

About computers suited for rendering: Of course it's better to have the best processor and as much memory as possible (for other packages a top notch graphics card, too). I for sure would like to get my hands on one of those shiny new Mac Pros. But as long as Cheetah can handle a scene, you can get a top result even on weak computers. It's just a question of time. So it can be helpful to let cook a render over night.

An exception is displacement. That could run out of memory (and hand) while rendering (in another package where I overdid it for a test render and forgot to set that back, I had later on, after 45 minutes of preprocessing, an estimated render time of more than 11'000 years).

About the problem with this
But what was wrong with the original HDR.

There wasn't anything wrong with it. HDRIs are generally not included in the jas-files (which is a good thing, especially as high quality hdris can be quite big. I have some with a file size of 400 mb and there is no upper limit).

"and as much memory as possible" I got a laugh out of this as I read at first glance. "and as much money as possible"
also( 11,000 years as much time as possible).

Back