Particle spline questions?

uncle808us

When using the particle spline should the objects align with the points on the spline? Mine don't.
Also why doesn't the spline changes update automatically ?

frank beckmann

When using the particle spline should the objects align with the points on the spline?
Does it need to align with the points of a linear spline? When it´s a curved spline the spreading will be equalised along the distance
Also why doesn't the spline changes update automatically ?
Good question for Martin -it would be cool for animation purposes.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:

Helmut

* AFAIK:
* Points on a spline and instances on a particle spline are not interrelated. The particle spline populates the spline with n (= number of particles as defined) with equally spaced instances.
* If you require an irregular spacing: For precise control of the PM, you will have to use a flat path (= line on a 2D / 3D curve) and deploy a particle mesh with a polygon base.
* Shifting points on a spline does not show in the editor (the particle spline remains static) but it does show in an animation (record points or whatever).
* To update ad hoc / in real time: Just toggle the visibility in the object browser off / on.

Last edited:

Helmut

* Given your existing spline:
1 add an extrusion modifier to create a narrow strip
2 generate a particle mesh; point type, repeat order, alignment off
3 populate with object required
4 add an second dummy object (in my example a bone); this can be a real object with visibility toggled off

* You can now move the points of the original spline and the objects will move in parallel along X, Y and Z :whistle:

Screenshot 2019-05-27 at 06.55.46.png

frank beckmann

If you just want to populate something via particle mesh all you need is points (in an empty polygon object):

I´m still not sure why Bob wants to use the Particle Spline. I guess he has reasons.

Cheers
Frank

Helmut

* Maybe a personal matter, but I find free-floating points frustrating to handle. As they are not linked to some visible geometry, it is difficult / impossible to conceptualise their position in 3D space.
* I much prefer to use constructors, visible in E-space (maybe wireframed) and hidden in R-space. YMMV :unsure:

uncle808us

How dare you two, personal indeed.:rolleyes: Using it as per your examples.Still messing with the trees.
@Zoo I hope I didn't offend. Didn't think it was worth any band width, so no image.