edge loop (cut) with "edge flow" (from Maya)

hey folks, i bet someone knows this ....

So I've been watcing a lot of maya tutorials, because there are many many good ones, and following along in Cheetah, and to my pleasant surprise, it seems I'm able to do just about everything I'm seeing in the Maya tutorials (at least the ones I'm watching) in Cheetah. .... Occasionally it may be a combination of 2 moves in Cheetah that gets you there, but I am always able to nearly exactly get the same moves to happen.

Here's one I haven't figured out yet, but maybe someone knows it. Here's 2 examples from 2 different tutorials where they've used this: here and here (timestamped youtube links to exactly where they are used). It's called edge loop (which seems to be the Mayan name for what we call "ring cut") but with a bonus check box added for "edge flow." I'd be curious to see how you'd go about making that move in Cheetah. There may be an exact way to do it, or you may say just eyeball it. I sort of eyeballed it for the hands tutorial, got all the way through that one 100%. For the head tutorial one, for that particular edge flow move I just sort of selected each vertex one at a time, and did 'Normal Move' and then just eyeballed how much to pull. But I'd be curious to see if someone has a more innovative way of basically getting the same effect as that edgeloop-edgeflow move, in either case.
Thanks

Bill

The scalpel tool basically does this, but you need to target the vertices yourself. I don't think that's a big issue (increase "point size" if you find it hard to pick out vertices).

You do know that if you use ring cut and "drag out of bounds" it snaps to the exact midpoint of the cut?

My personal keyboard shortcuts when using C3D generally involve:

[ and ] are mapped to increase and reduce selection
R — ring cut
C — cover (I almost never extrude)
/ — scalpel
P — create polygon
H — fill hole
O — optimize

It's pretty hard to find any 3D modeling tool that gets me much more productive than that.

The Jigsaw Tool may help, you have to select the polygons you want to cut through plus one more.
Then use the Point Slide tool to adjust points.

jigsawtool.gif

Back