Old dog new tricks

Hi everyone!

I hope you are feeling inspired and creative :)

I have a question about converting a bone driven mesh deformation to a blend shape or series of blend shapes..not an area I'm particularly good at.

My model is a breaking wave, driven by a left to right sequence of bone rotations so it breaks left to right.. Looks nice but in Unity, there is a limit to the number of bones that can influence any given vertex..and the in Unity model ends up looking blocky as it moves. Gah!

So I need to make the bone animations into blend shapes..I think.. and export the model with one or many animated blend shapes..

Does anyone have a steps 1,2,3... kind of advice for this?
Thanks!

That sound cool. Can you zip the file over so we can have a look?
I don't know about blend shapes though. Reminds me of Illustrator.

Oops. I can no longer access dropbox since their last upgrade until I upgrade my OS.
I see it's to large to upload directly. Maybe just the bones?

@ ZooHead: You don´t need Dropbox for a direct download.
@ Targos - looks cool. Not sure if an OBJ-sequence will make it into Unity. Can´t find the script (pretty sure Hiroto authored) right now.

Cheers
Frank

Oops. I can no longer access dropbox since their last upgrade until I upgrade my OS.
What OS is the drop box cut off? I found the answer OS 10.10. I’m on 11 so it probably won’t be long before I ‘m shut down. I just have software that won’t run on newer OS and I’m happy with this one metal will shut me down anyway my computers are old and I can’t sell a relative to get a new one.o_O

Last edited:
:whistle: Us regulars who have attained - prematurely - the Biblical age of three score and ten (like Uncle Bob [possibly] and me [certainly]) prefer to be called middle-aged-dogs or even post-juvenile-canines.
:mad: Once you guys have grown out of your nappies, you may appreciate the subtleties of honorifics used in advanced cultures.

I have deleted the dropbox app years ago since it's just another evil background process trying to control stuff.
That means I can no longer sync across computers and also not work on shared projects but
the functionality to upload and download files to the dropbox cloud via webbrowser is not affected at all.
Only it is less convenient to open Safari first, then go to the dropbox site and navigate to the target folder.

@ ZooHead: You don´t need Dropbox for a direct download.

Cheers
Frank
What OS is the drop box cut off? I found the answer OS 10.10. I’m on 11 so it probably won’t be long before I ‘m shut down. I just have software that won’t run on newer OS and I’m happy with this one metal will shut me down anyway my computers are old and I can’t sell a relative to get a new one.o_O
I have deleted the dropbox app years ago since it's just another evil background process trying to control stuff.
That means I can no longer sync across computers and also not work on shared projects but
the functionality to upload and download files to the dropbox cloud via webbrowser is not affected at all.
Only it is less convenient to open Safari first, then go to the dropbox site and navigate to the target folder.
Thanks guys, that's good to know.

Hi everyone!

I hope you are feeling inspired and creative :)

I have a question about converting a bone driven mesh deformation to a blend shape or series of blend shapes..not an area I'm particularly good at.

My model is a breaking wave, driven by a left to right sequence of bone rotations so it breaks left to right.. Looks nice but in Unity, there is a limit to the number of bones that can influence any given vertex..and the in Unity model ends up looking blocky as it moves. Gah!

So I need to make the bone animations into blend shapes..I think.. and export the model with one or many animated blend shapes..

Does anyone have a steps 1,2,3... kind of advice for this?
Thanks!
I just got a look at you're file. Wow, that's fascinating. I wish I could help but, I'm stumped.

It turns out the very latest version of Unity supports up to 32 bone influences per vertex, rather than 4.
So when circumstances allow switching up It should "Just work".

The irony of shelving an idea for years and then when you get back to it the tech catches up!
Stay creative, team!

Back