Fasten foot to floor

Hey folks,

This *seems* like a basic question, but I'm not seeing answres anywhere, sorry if the answer's obvious.

When animating a rigged character, particularly for dancing, (although it really seems you would need this for walking too), it seem like you're gonna want to have certain times where a foot is achored to the floor. It seems like this is a must in general for walking animations, but that's not what I'm currently doing. Specifically right now my character is standing in one spot, but I want to be able to do some movements while keeping the feet fixed to the floor. If I move a leg, the foot moves, etc. The root joint is pelvis, and I think it would mess everything up if the feet were the root joints, and I don't even know how the heirarchy would work ....
so yeah .... is this a thing?
would like to use Anchor because that fastens you to a point in space by default, but those only work on editable objects.
Also seems like this would probably be a normal thing people do during the course of walk cycles, to keep the feet from drifting on the floor.
For example, I made some standing movements (standing still, but body oscilating a bit) and there's just no way to keep the feet still. Swimmy looking.

Anyway, thanks for your help, anyone who can. Do I want point constraint? IK constraint? anchor? something ... I know this is probably simple I just don't know it.
Thank you!

Bill

I wish Cheetah had a lot more constraints. You would need something like a clamp constraint so the foot never passes through a particular object.

Bob

I wish Cheetah had a lot more constraints. You would need something like a clamp constraint so the foot never passes through a particular object.

Bob
is the 'clamp' actually in the program, or was that just a wish? Also I'm on version 6, due to living in the past. thanks

For what you're describing I would put the IK Handle on the ankle bone, and set the length to 2.
Then hit the Add Target button, which will place a folder as a null object at the ankle.
When you move the hips the ankles will tend to stay in place.
If you have any wierdness try setting the IK solver to 3D.

brilliant, actually discovered the Monster Walk resource you have on another thread which shows you actually doing exactly this kind of stuff. breakthrough. thank you very much.

Bill

For what you're describing I would put the IK Handle on the ankle bone, and set the length to 2.
Then hit the Add Target button, which will place a folder as a null object at the ankle.
When you move the hips the ankles will tend to stay in place.
If you have any wierdness try setting the IK solver to 3D.
But this doesn't actually keep the foot from going through the "floor", so to speak, if you move the foot down too far, right?

Here's a foot/leg I put together a while back if it helps. ZooHead fixed something I missed on it, too.

Attachments

• IK_quad-leg-zhd.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 225
But this doesn't actually keep the foot from going through the "floor", so to speak, if you move the foot down too far, right?
yes but now that i have the IK thing ZooHead showed me, it's easy enough to put the feet where i want them. In this case the targeted IK handle thing was the key to the game. Thanks again

Back