Subdividing splines

:unsure: Do we have a C3D tool / Java script to subdivide an entire spline (or individual segments thereof) into n subsegments?

* I have here a model of the CNS / PNS (central / peripheral nervous system), grossly simplified to represent neuronal clusters as fractal binary trees. The B-trees are then used as the base for path creators in a particle mesh to generate a ball of hemispherical neurons which connect the sensory input (vision / audio / ...) to a CPU (associated brain centres, hippocampus et al).
* I want to show in the project that specific "circuits" in the B-trees store sensory and abstract concepts. As stated, grossly simplified, but the simple critters used for neurobiological research seem to do that.

* To animate these engrammes, I use a build modifier (0% .. 100%) in a path using the base splines of the associated neuronal B-trees.

* The original fractal tree (a Java script by an unknown contributor) has long linear segments between the bifurcation points which produces a poor, rather jumpy, animation. Inserting points is no problem, but that requires eyeballing, as inserted points do not snap to any grid (AFAIK). Fine-tuning such points is also no problem using the transform tool, but a bit laborious and boring.
* Thank you for any ideas :)

* Attached screen shots:
* Ideally, I want to
1 reduce the fractal tree (linear stuff in SS 1) to some required branch (which is trivial).
2 subdivide this branch (or the individual segments) into useful "mini hops" to achieve a smooth animation of the action potential running from input device to CPU.
3 SS 2 shows the result, the circuit for the colour RED is just being built (the text is animated in parallel), as the CPU processes the visual sensation of seeing a cube & medium & red.
4 ignore the bottom half; that will model the muscular output side, travelling down the PNS to organs (cardiac systole / diastole) and extremities (playing the piano or whatever).

SS 1.png

SS 2.png

* Thank you, Frank.
* Great solution, also due to Master Hiroto´s EdgesToSpline.js trickery. It may need a bit of tweaking for animation, but I have not fully experimented with the various parameters of Hiroto´s script to achieve any optimal result.
* Much obliged for your help :D
* Prost to Hamburg and the St Michaelis Church, one of my favourite buildings.

Back