Texture imported with .obj files disappearing when saved as .jas

Bruce H

I have had no problems importing .obj files with their textures into C3D. The .obj files are stored on an external drive which seems to be causing a problem. When I save this project as a .jas file it seems that the textures referenced in the .obj file have a definite path. If I disconnect the external drive and open the saved .jas file it can no longer find the textures. I tried "Save Material" with "Embed textures" but that did not help.

Can I put the texture jpg in the same folder as the .jas and shorten the path to just the name of the texture jpg? Will that work? I want to be able send the .jas to other people and have them view the project with the textures.

Does anyone have any suggestion to solve this issue?

Thank you,
Bruce

<dict>
<key>xmlDef</key>
<string>&lt;image displayparam="IN" preview="0" type="PATTERN" id="7452352" npos="478,184"&gt;&lt;param&gt;&lt;seperator name="texture" io="NONE" val="/Volumes/Seagate 5TB 11M/Artec3D Eva scans/UPS + cords/UPS + cords (smooth)_0.jpg"&gt;&lt;/seperator&gt;&lt;texture name="texture" io="NONE" val="/Volumes/Seagate 5TB 11M/Artec3D Eva scans/UPS + cords/UPS + cords (smooth)_0.jpg"&gt;&lt;/texture&gt;&lt;color name="mixcolor" io="IN" val="1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000"&gt;&lt;/color&gt;&lt;float name="mix" io="IN" val="1.000000" min="0.0" max="1.0" inc="0.01"&gt;&lt;/float&gt;&lt;color name="background" io="IN" val="0.700000,0.700000,0.700000,1.000000"&gt;&lt;/color&gt;&lt;float name="intensity" io="IN" val="1.000000" min="0.0" max="10.0" inc="0.01"&gt;&lt;/float&gt;&lt;seperator name="Sample" io="NONE"&gt;&lt;/seperator&gt;&lt;select name="sample" io="NONE" val="0" items="UV1,UV2"&gt;&lt;/select&gt;&lt;vector2f name="position" io="IN" val="0.000000,0.000000"&gt;&lt;/vector2f&gt;&lt;vector2f name="scale" io="IN" val="1.000000,1.000000" min="0.001" max="1000" inc="0.01"&gt;&lt;/vector2f&gt;&lt;bool name="tileU" io="NONE" val="1" min="0.0" max="1.0"&gt;&lt;/bool&gt;&lt;bool name="tileV" io="NONE" val="1" min="0.0" max="1.0"&gt;&lt;/bool&gt;&lt;select name="filtertype" io="NONE" val="3" items="closest,bilinear,trilinear,anisotropic"&gt;&lt;/select&gt;&lt;color name="color" io="OUT" val="0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000"&gt;&lt;/color&gt;&lt;float name="val" io="OUT" val="0.000000"&gt;&lt;/float&gt;&lt;float name="R" io="OUT" val="0.000000"&gt;&lt;/float&gt;&lt;float name="G" io="OUT" val="0.000000"&gt;&lt;/float&gt;&lt;float name="B" io="OUT" val="0.000000"&gt;&lt;/float&gt;&lt;float name="A" io="OUT" val="0.000000"&gt;&lt;/float&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;/image&gt;</string>
</dict>

Hi Bruce.
I think this script is made for you then: https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/9707/
It collects and copy&paste used images for materials into a certain folder (objects must be editable meshes afaik).
Otherwise manually collecting and dragging (with alt-key) will do the same. So putting Cheetah3d-file along used images into one folder is the save way to share.
Save material with embed textures is just for internally use as it will duplicate a texture/image into Cheetah3d´s own repository and you don´t have to dig for it later on.

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank,
The script did not work for me. However, just copying the two texture jpg into the same folder as the jas file was the solution. In hindsight, why did I not think of that first!

Thank you so much for your help.
Bruce

Last edited:
I checked the script before I replied and it works. You need to specify an existing folder for the collection. Next time you want to share 20 and more image textures you´ll need this script working for sure. ;)

Cheers
Frank

I can't get it to work.
Materials1.jpg

After selecting the folder select it´s name in the entry field in the script tool´s panel and hit backspace to delete otherwise it generates a folder named "Textures" - hit "copy" will place images in the same spot - or the "Textures"-folder:
ImageCollector.jpg

Cheers
Frank

I was not sure how the script worked but now I see it in the Tool area on the right. It did copy the textures correctly. I assume that 20 or more textures could still be copied manually but the Material Helper would be faster and easier.

Thanks,
Bruce

After selecting the folder select it´s name in the entry field in the script tool´s panel and hit backspace to delete otherwise it generates a folder named "Textures" - hit "copy" will place images in the same spot - or the "Textures"-folder:
View attachment 34122

Cheers
Frank
I'm still not understanding what should the script tool window look like? I try to pick a folder as in my image nothing shows up, if I choose the desktop it creates the folder. But if I choose anything other than the Desktop folder nothing.
Sorry you know how dense I can be.:unsure:

I have found this script does not work when materials are located on an external drive or a server. Only material located on my Mac are collected.

Just tested and works with external USB-drive - needs to connected and switched on of course - but collection works as expected.
Dunno why it works here all the time. :whistle:

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Back