Radiolaria style organic structures?

Hello :)

Can cheetah3d do something like the pic attached?

It's a mathematically generated radiolaria style organic structure.

Similar to this web based design tool but in 3d.

https://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/radiolaria/

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190206_121704.jpg
    20190206_121704.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 357
Thanks for the welcome frank! :)

That last forum link is exactly what I needed (icosahedron start) but the steps in the pic attached I am getting stuck on.

The starting pic shows an icosahedron that seems to be evenly triangulated. Mine does not look like that even after subdiv. Also collapse when I use it requires me to pick indivudual faces which is tedious.

Any chance to get a clearer tut or flow explanation of what is being done in the pic process shown in the pic? Collapsing is giving me the most headache.

Other than that I'm really loving cheetah3d! 😊

Attachments

• 20190206_182835-695x718.jpg
    20190206_182835-695x718.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Update on what I have figured out so far

"Collapse" = make editable (not actual collapse?)

Last edited:
Also collapse when I use it requires me to pick indivudual faces which is tedious.
Hi.
I essence the steps are:
1. Pick a Icosahedron add a subdivision-modifier set to Stam Loop/ Iteration 2 - make editable
2. Go Tools->Polygon->Simplify - Target set to 0,5 - hit Apply:
3. Add a subdivision-modifier set to Catmull-Clark/ Iteration 1 - then select all edges and make editable and go back into edge-mode to see your still selected edges
4. Go Selection->Invert Selection followed by Tools->Polygon->Inner Extrude->click&drag to adjust amount
5. Go Selection->Convert Selection To->Polygons - then Selection->Invert Selection - hit backspace to delete polygon selection
6. Add a Shell-modifier - adjust Offset - Add a default Subdivision-modifier. Done.
I added a file with all steps separated.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• VoronoiSphere.jas.zip
    292.5 KB · Views: 321
Back