Cheetah3D 7.3 Beta 5

Cheetah3D 7.3 Beta 5

Hi,
Beta 5 finally "finishes" the Dark Mode support. There are still some smaller things missing but they will follow up with later updates and won't make it in v7.3 anymore. So I hope that Beta 5 will be the last beta.

Thank you very much for all the feedback and the bug report.:smile:

New features in Cheetah3D 7.3 Beta 5:
Code:
-OpenGl colors can be customized indipendently for dark and aqua mode
-fixed a redraw bug when changing preferences colors
-fixed point color bug (didn't work)
-various other bug fixes

New features in Cheetah3D 7.3:
Code:
-added support for macOS Mojave dark mode
-added PBR shader
   -based on Disneys Principled shader
   -added support for GGX BRDF
-added glTF exporter
   -supports glTF and glb (binary glTF) output
   -supports the following meshe attributes
      -vertex
      -normal
      -two uv sets
      -vertex color
  -supports PBR materials
      -color texture
      -AO texture
      -metalness texture
      -roughness texture
      -emissive texture
      -AO/roughness/metalness texture merging to embedded texure export
      -embedded textures
  -supports animation export
      -Takes
      -object animation
      -skeletal animations
   support camera export
-added support for refractive caustics to Falcon renderer
-added "R", "G", "B" and "A" output channels to Image material node
-added support for DirectX style normal maps
-transitioned from libstdcpp to libc++
   -upgraded Carve CSG library to latest version
   -upgraded Bullet physics engine (v2.79 -> v2.87)
   -upgraded OpenEXR library (v2.0 -> v2.2.1)
   -updated FBX SDK library (libstdcpp -> libc++)
   -removed dependency to BOOST library
-removed all OpenCL code
-repaced lots of OpenGL code (in preparation for Metal)
-changed specular color of default material to black
-improved node editor (copies all possible parameter values to new shader)
-fixed bug in node editor (fixed node position when changing shader node)
-fixed redraw bug in node editor
-fixed .h export problem
-fixed bug in material preview of state node
-fixed crashing bug in material import (failed to properly connect nodes)
-fixed bug in photon mapping
-fixed object selection bug
-fixed bug in node editor (displayed broken connections)
-fixed bug in "Add node" menu
-fixed material delete bug
-fixed bug in glass shader (invisible area lights)
-fixed bug in .jas importer (problem with v6.x skylights)
-fixed bug in .jas importer (converting v6.x point lights with radius to sphereical areas lights could fail)
-fixed bug in shadow mat (blocked glossy reflections)
-fixed bug when copy&pasting objects (take manager didn't' update)
-fixed bug in glass shader (appearing in Falcon with very low roughness values)
-fixed bug in particle mesh (particle alignment problem)
-fixed bug in SVG import
-fixed bug in gadget tool (problem with algning too (0,0,0))
-fixed crashing bug in scalpel tool

Attention:
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE SO DON'T USE IT ON IMPORTANT DATA.

Download link of Cheetah3D 7.3b5:
http://www.cheetah3d.com/download/Beta/Cheetah3D7.3b5.dmg

I hope you like the new features in Cheetah3D 7.3.:smile:

Kind regards
Martin

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-10-07 um 18.47.18.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-10-07 um 18.47.18.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 477
One minor thing I've noticed is if you drag a material onto the mesh directly or onto the layer names it doesn't get it right (haven't checked beta5 yet though). Easy enough work around though is to click the material in the layers directly and correct it.

Couple of nice features to have sometime in the future would be

- when in edge mode, double clicking a edge would automatically do a loop select. We do alot of poly reduction and this would make it quicker

- be able to highlight two layers and right click to have the merge option

- Magic Mouse support like v6 had for view rotation (I forget exactly how I used to use it, something like turn on middle button in osx then using it for rotation instead of having to goto the alt button all the time). Might have even been a option for both buttons for pan, can't remember

- When you turn the grid off or on in modeling mode, have that carry to uv edit mode (again, not a big deal, just have to turn it on or off twice when I'm switching modes a lot)

I'm guessing the last one might be a big request, probably hard to do. Have a way to separate sub division by smoothing groups like max

PS - things I really like about Cheetah.
- Coordinate and Material system and modifying it is extremely easy. Cheetah is always the last software we use before going in the game.
- Double clicking and moving the coordinate icon then using snap to component I can quickly and easily line things up perfectly.

Thanks for the great software!

One minor thing I've noticed is if you drag a material onto the mesh directly or onto the layer names it doesn't get it right (haven't checked beta5 yet though). Easy enough work around though is to click the material in the layers directly and correct it.
I don´t think that is what its made for. Dragging materials onto objects in 3d view never failed on me - wait for the "+" sign pop-up though before you release.
- when in edge mode, double clicking a edge would automatically do a loop select. We do alot of poly reduction and this would make it quicker
Seems you´re coming from Silo. Set a hotkey for loop selection is much more versatile than a double-click especially for partial loops - thought of that? (See GIF)
- be able to highlight two layers and right click to have the merge option
Layer merging is implemented but I guess you want mesh-merging based on layers - right? Again I don´t think that´s the purpose of the layer´s panel.
- When you turn the grid off or on in modelling mode, have that carry to uv edit mode (again, not a big deal, just have to turn it on or off twice when I'm switching modes a lot)
There´s a grid in UV editor window? But again set a hotkey to toggle Grid on/off - nothing is quicker. ;)
PartialEdgeLoopSelection.gif

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Never knew about partial loops, Thanks! Thats really handy! Learn something new everyday and I've been using Cheetah for nearly 7 or 8 years.

Never have used Silo beyond maybe a trial. My background came from manufacturing. Starting out in Autocad DOS all the way until R12 I think it was. From there it was Inventor.

The last 10 years its been Cheetah and 3ds max.

I believe I've found out more about the assigning materials. If you only change the material name and nothing else, assigning them by dragging onto the 3d view or layers will mix them up.

It worked good just now by changing a color too then everything assigns correctly. We don't normally change anything though, the materials are just place holders and later modified in Unity

I don´t think that is what its made for. Dragging materials onto objects in 3d view never failed on me - wait for the "+" sign pop-up though before you release.

Seems you´re coming from Silo. Set a hotkey for loop selection is much more versatile than a double-click especially for partial loops - thought of that? (See GIF)

Layer merging is implemented but I guess you want mesh-merging based on layers - right? Again I don´t think that´s the purpose of the layer´s panel.

There´s a grid in UV editor window? But again set a hotkey to toggle Grid on/off - nothing is quicker. ;)

Cheers
Frank

Not sure if this will work or not, screen recording of material assignment. Sorry not trying to be a pain in the rump and it really doesn't bother me much, just getting it out there in case others have it too

I can recreate that behaviour - but - I´m pretty sure that´s because these two materials have 100% identical properties except the naming. So I guess you´re just confusing the cat. :D
When you adjust a tiny fraction of a channel of your choice it´d works as expected.

Cheers
Frank

Seems you´re coming from Silo. Set a hotkey for loop selection is much more versatile than a double-click especially for partial loops - thought of that?

I like the double-click to loop select feature in Silo. Always have. Double-clicking isn't used for anything else and it's quicker than a keyboard shortcut.

That said, it would be kind of a beached whale in the UI unless double-click were used for other things. Double-clicking on a face in Silo is "select all" which seems like they decided "well, it had to do something".

Again, double-click-and-drag would be a nice way to implement that feature and it wouldn’t require you to be in loop select *mode*.

Double-click and drag on faces to pick rings would make sense too.

Again, double-click-and-drag would be a nice way to implement that feature and it wouldn’t require you to be in loop select *mode*.

Double-click and drag on faces to pick rings would make sense too.

Good one, forgot about that one. In face mode, click one face and holding shift selects a face loop. Holding command could let you just add to selection without looping.

I'm going to post a new thread on the wish list, don't want this to get too off track for beta feedback

Images will stay in UVs editor ...

after deletion while still in edit mode.
True for textures, camera backgrounds, displacement modifier etc.
In essence you need to end edit mode before removing the image - otherwise the image will stay.

Cheers
Frank

Back