Clear all selections short cut?

Clear all selections short cut?

Here is my statement and question:
Sometimes I have selected some vertices, and forget to clear the selection, then I select a face or two, also do not clear that selection, Then I ring cut which I have set to select the ring cut. Now I have a vertice selection still active, a polygon selection still active and a line now selected. The Question: How can I clear all the selections at once?
I have a shortcut Cmd+D but that only clears each mode when selected.
I want to clear all selections at once in all modes is it possible?
Thanks

I don't know too :redface:

But consider that clearing all selections would also destroy all material assignments which are stored as polygon selections #1, #2 ...

I don't know too :redface:

But consider that clearing all selections would also destroy all material assignments which are stored as polygon selections #1, #2 ...

By just clearing "deselecting" the mode selections? How does this affect polygon selections? Now I'm confused.

Here is my statement and question:
Sometimes I have selected some vertices, and forget to clear the selection, then I select a face or two, also do not clear that selection, Then I ring cut which I have set to select the ring cut. Now I have a vertice selection still active, a polygon selection still active and a line now selected. The Question: How can I clear all the selections at once?
I have a shortcut Cmd+D but that only clears each mode when selected.
Thanks

This is one of the reasons I wish Cheetah3D was more Applescript friendly. Fortunately, you can use AppleScript to instruct the system to send keystrokes to an application, and save that script as an Application Service. I have one for Cheetah that checks the clipboard to verify that it holds an image, then opens the Preview application to display it - I use it to preview incomplete renders at full size.

I'll see if I can whip up a script for deselecting.

This script appears to go through each mode and clear selection, then return to object mode. I'll see about making it a service.

tell application "Cheetah3D 7.2b3" to activate
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "p" using {option down}
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "d" using {command down}
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "e" using {option down}
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "l" using {option down}
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "o" using {option down}

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I wish Cheetah3D was more Applescript friendly. Fortunately, you can use AppleScript to instruct the system to send keystrokes to an application, and save that script as an Application Service. I have one for Cheetah that checks the clipboard to verify that it holds an image, then opens the Preview application to display it - I use it to preview incomplete renders at full size.

I'll see if I can whip up a script for deselecting.

This script appears to go through each mode and clear selection, then return to object mode. I'll see about making it a service.

I know absolutely nothing about scripting but I see what its doing, all the steps I want to avoid with one shortcut.
What you have in mind will it be a .js script? Or will it show up in the services menu? I'm kind of wary of putting things in my system.
Thanks

I know absolutely nothing about scripting but I see what its doing, all the steps I want to avoid with one shortcut.
What you have in mind will it be a .js script? Or will it show up in the services menu? I'm kind of wary of putting things in my system.
Thanks

It's an AppleScript document that shows up in the services menu. It's nothing but a simple AppleScript instructing the operating system that triggers the same routines in the OS that are called by keystrokes. It's a text document dropped into a certain folder, and only shows up in the specific application it's targeted at, and is just as easily removed. You can run the very same script in the Script Editor App included with the OS. AppleScript is much like javascript but more english-like. The syntax is pickier than they like to claim, but it's well worth exploring.

My early tests are deselecting all the selected items in each mode except the Object Mode. Points, lines and polygons are all deselected and the script returns Cheetah3D to Object mode, but my test object remains active.

BTW, here is my automator script for previewing the selected render.

Save the script then use Convert To make a Service and save that file under a name you want to see in the menu.

Drop the service file into the Library/Services folder under your User. (Use "Go To Folder..." menu command under the Go menu to open it. Your personal Library folder is hidden ) I believe it will work under the Llbrary/Services/ folder, as well.

/Users/[your username]/Library/Services/[your service title].workflow

Attachments

• Preview Render.jpg
    Preview Render.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
By just clearing "deselecting" the mode selections? How does this affect polygon selections? Now I'm confused.
Now I'm confused about what you're after.
"Deselecting" and "clearing a selection" in my understanding means the same:
Nothing selected :wink:

From what I get you want one command to clear point, edge and polygon selections at the same time.

But there are several polygon selections, #0 - #24.
While modeling you can switch through them to store different selections for later.
When you start applying materials (normally that means modeling is finished) to different parts of an object those selections will automatically be aligned with the different materials.
When you start to alter these automatically created selections you mess up your material assignments.
And a command to delete all selections will erase those assignments.

So it would make more sense to delete only the current polygon selection instead of all of them.

Now I'm confused about what you're after.
"Deselecting" and "clearing a selection" in my understanding means the same:
Nothing selected :wink:

From what I get you want one command to clear point, edge and polygon selections at the same time.

But there are several polygon selections, #0 - #24.
While modeling you can switch through them to store different selections for later.
When you start applying materials (normally that means modeling is finished) to different parts of an object those selections will automatically be aligned with the different materials.
When you start to alter these automatically created selections you mess up your material assignments.
And a command to delete all selections will erase those assignments.

So it would make more sense to delete only the current polygon selection instead of all of them.

This script is just executing keyboard shortcuts for commands found under the main menu. I had to add keystroke shortcuts to change modes (option p for point mode, option e edge mode, option l for polygon mode), then the script executed the "Selection/Clear Selection" menu item using command d. Without Cheetah3D having an AppleScript vocabulary programmed in, it can only control keystrokes and mouse position/clicks (via screen coordinates, which is a pretty unstable way to handle it).

Thank you but I will answer honestly, I do not know enough about what you are doing to try it.
Maybe someone with a better understanding of this can try it out.
I suppose for now I will stick with the default way of doing it (de-selection) I do appreciate you going to the trouble though I hope it wasn't too much work and didn't use up too much of your time.
We'll see if someone else tries it out.
Thanks again.

@MonkeyT

Thanks for your explanation but above I was not referring to your script but to uncle808us about the question of what "all Selections" means.

When your script automates the cmd-D shortcut there will be no danger for material assignments.

I haven't looked further into your script as I have no need for combined deselecting but it's a welcome contribution nonetheless,
so thanks and keep it up!

Back