Is the forum working?

Is the forum working?

I haven't seen any new messages in a couple of days rare for this forum.
This one showed up so I guess everyone is just working or has no questions.

Hel l l lo - ooo, Hello - Hello - Hello - Hello

Anybody there, there - there - there - there ?

Helmut, Helmut- Helmut - Helmut - Helmut?

Miso, Miso- Miso - Miso - Miso?

Hasdrubal Hasdrubal- Hasdrubal - Hasdrubal - Hasdrubal?

Zoo, Zoo - Zoo - Zoo - Zoo?

Swizl, Swizl - Swizl - Swizl - Swizl?

Pod, Pod - Pod - Pod - Pod?

Joel, Joel - Joel - Joel - Joel?

Anybody, Anybody - Anybody - Anybody - Anybody?

Hum - mm - m. :confused:

Hel l l lo - ooo, Hello - Hello - Hello - Hello

Anybody there, there - there - there - there ?

Helmut, Helmut- Helmut - Helmut - Helmut?

Miso, Miso- Miso - Miso - Miso?

Hasdrubal Hasdrubal- Hasdrubal - Hasdrubal - Hasdrubal?

Zoo, Zoo - Zoo - Zoo - Zoo?

Swizl, Swizl - Swizl - Swizl - Swizl?

Pod, Pod - Pod - Pod - Pod?

Joel, Joel - Joel - Joel - Joel?

Anybody, Anybody - Anybody - Anybody - Anybody?

Hum - mm - m. :confused:

LOL
Bueller? ... Beuller? ...... Beuller?

* There is a heatwave rolling slowly across subtropical Europe.
* C3D operatives in the Black Forest, Hamburg, Vienna and beyond have been given a free holiday and are entitled to liquid refreshments from their favourite brewery / vineyard. Fortunately, there is a smallish microbrewery in walking distance.

* Please do not disturb until professional sobriety can been diagnosed in the patients alluded to :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Here.

But it's the same with me. No vacation (what for? Suffer in the heat I can do here as well as anywhere else ...), but didn't even start the computer for a few days. Plain too hot, at least the day through.

Late in the night it's quiet ok, but you pay the price for open windows with getting eaten by mosquitos.

For the Americans: Here in Europe people don't have very often air conditioners at home. Not yet.

I lived in NYC for 20 years, August is brutal, called The Dog Days of August for a reason. Without AC your life is hell. That is what Europe is becoming. More good news later. :wink:

Hi Terry

Well, the term 'dog days' is used also here.

And about the good news... We probably shouldn't start this discussion here. What will happen is known for decades. The oldest book I know which explicitly warned of things like that, without the usual terms of course, is from the fifties ('Dance With The Devil', can't remember the author and I'm not even sure it ever got translated into English). And since then nobody really did anything to stop this. Kioto and Paris, even if all the countries had met the targets, wouldn't have been enough. I could go on and on. The problem(s) would have been solvable, some still are, but for short term goals (which mean money for the industry, money and votes for politicians, jobs and a seemingly good life for the people) everything else gets sacrificed.

And when I read the papers I usually get the feeling the world has turned into a really bad American comedy, especially if you read them online, where your fellow citizens are able to comment (and don't get me started about orthography and grammar in my native language).

Where are you Hasdrubal, Italy?

Yep, I read science for 10 years, I knew what was coming. But the common thought was, it won't happen in our lifetime. Well, it's happening now. London is 86 degrees today, which is extremely rare, or was, and the winters are getting freezing. I keep thinking of The Day After Tomorrow, that's where we're heading. And yes, the oil industry has known about climate change for decades but suppressed the knowledge for their own greed. :frown:

North of the alps, Switzerland, German speaking part.

The books I read, almost all warned that it would come in our lifetime. One of them was "Report to the american President for the year 2000" from 1980, translated into German a few years later, around 1985 (back then, I have to admit, I still read translations). I don't remember all the scenarios there, none of it came true for 2000, obviously, but some are coming now. With a vengeance.

And the oil industry still finances groups that deny any climate change or say it hasn't anything to do with CO2. They even have some scientist as gallionsfigures. Of course it's not only the oil industry. There are other lobbies that want the money today, whatever will happen to coming generations.

Billionaires now are interested in stuff like protective bunkers and methods to control their own security (like chokers. Sadly, no joke, and in all probability true).

You know, there are estimations about psychopaths. Could be 5 %; some scientists go up to 10 % of the populace. And, to be honest, the latter would meet my experience. One of ten really seem to miss something important we usually expect from humanity. Like empathy and conscience.

Whatever the real number is. In capitalism (and in communism, which is bullshit, too. Don't get me wrong here) it's just natural for people like that to get the powerful positions in politics and in the industry. So it's no wonder that we get f.... Big time.

For example vw and diesel (well, actually it's not fair not too mention the other european manufacturers, too. They did the same. A few weeks ago audi got in the headlines anew because of that). In the USA those firms at least have to pay, here and in Germany not even that. If you or me would have done the same, we would go to jail (and rightly so), but they just have to mumble something about jobs and get even some money from the state ... People who can act like that just for the money are sociopaths. And they are much more dangerous than any terrorists ever could be.

Worldwide the lobbies are very powerful and the people really don't get it. They vote for the same evil blokes or even worse. In a wrong reaction quiet a lot of people started to believe in conspiracy theories or quiet stupid things. Never thought a flat world theory could get popular again.

Oh, and there were science fiction authors who at least wrote about some of todays problems in the sixties (like John Brunner) and the seventies (like Philip K. Dick who got a bit of popularity in the last years) while it really started in the 80s.

John Brunner was English, really loved his best books 'Stand on Zanzibar', 'Sheep look up' and 'Shockwave rider'. As much as I remember there wasn't much about a climatic change in them, though.

* For those with an interest in the "early days" of ecology and concern with anthropogenic effects I recommend (re-)reading Rachel Carson's "The Silent Spring". I must have purchased it just prior to my Matura / Abitur and still regard it as one of the most influential books which shaped my - nowadays increasingly paranoid and bleak - views of Homo Sapiens.
* Unfortunately, it is rather depressing to reread it 55 years later. The primary culture of global enterprise seems to have changed little, indeed, it seems to have become more brutal and, possibly, genocidal. Where the prefix refers to the genus Homo.

* There is nothing like an entertaining show of terrestrial mass extinction whilst you idly await the Grim Reaper knocking on the door :shock: :evil: :frown:

* Note: Matura / Abitur = the leaving certificate attained in High School in parts of the EU which permits further studies at tertiary institutions.

* It´s a GLOBAL CONSPIRACY!
* SAD! FAKE NEWS! WITCH HUNT!
* THERE IS NO GLOBAL WARMING!

* Well, I have now expanded the model of the universe to incorporate a switch for insolation, cloud cover, precipitation, temperature and air mobility.
* After some fine tuning, I think this is much better.

* Depending on your eagerly awaited donations and the volumetrics of my expandable piggy bank I may add a dial for "delirious happiness", "omniscience" and a checkbox for "smite all human idiots on this planet".

* Careful use with the last: You may find you disappear suddenly :tongue:

and, possibly, genocidal

Not possibly. And they don't care a bit. Interestingly almost nobody seems to really care.

for "smite all human idiots on this planet".

* Careful use with the last: You may find you disappear suddenly

Definitely worth the risk :wink:

* It´s a GLOBAL CONSPIRACY!
* SAD! FAKE NEWS! WITCH HUNT!
* THERE IS NO GLOBAL WARMING!

And the man with the orange hair is just the top of the iceberg. What really makes me scratch my had is that the guy has so many fans in my country (like Putin, too). Don't know how it is with Austria (but the similar types there are well known here, too).

It's a really sad, sad world. One needs a lot of humour to take it ;)

The science books I read were not about climate change, I just happen to come across the subject. But I do remember reading they predicted 100 years for it to happen, which was obviously wrong.

Yes there are plenty of the Orange Orangutan supporters in the UK, I just don't get it? The stupid brainwashed sheep. But most countries have a divided/hating mass, that's how they're controlled.

No, most people don't seem to care about the Earth at all. Until the disaster happens on their doorstep. The ignorance of people is astounding. If only they could figure out how to think for themselves.

Funny part is, I never read a book solely about climatic change. It's just that I'm an avid reader, a fast one too, and read a lot of books, some science, some popular science, some magazines, too, newspapers, and, back then, a lot of science fiction, which, if well done (only not much around of this anymore), always touches on things like this, on new ideas, new technology and coming problems. And I always was interested very much in history.

Climatic change is one thing, but that the environment suffers from our ways of life, should be clear to anyone since the 80s, climatic change since the nineties, and that all this things are happening very soon since the 2000s.

that's how they're controlled

I try not to believe in a single one conspiracy theory (but I like them, to be honest, and I read as a youngster and young man a lot about it for fun (and met to my astonishment in unexpected places quiet a few people who believe into illuminati and things like that) and not to get paranoid. So I don't think the masses get controlled in a big way.

Of course governments do a few things for crowd control, have lists of suspect citizens (in my country there was a big scandal about this in the 80s. Even some writers were watched), they analyze our activities on the net, create backdoors and stuff. The governments seem to want more control, more information and so on. There is corruption, a lot of stuff to hide, and the enterprises and lobbies try and do their best to get their interests (money) become reality (very successful at that sometimes).

There is a lot going on, that shouldn't, stuff we have to look out for, and if possible to stop, but I really don't believe that there is a big conspiracy (a lot of (very) small ones, though, like price fixing, a little illegal help for the right politician and, and, and).

So I don't think they (the ominous 'they') really did a lot to create hate groups or parties like Germany's AfD or Frances Rassemblement National (the former Front National). Nor did they create the entertainment industry to lull the masses (but some governments of course try to use it). All that stuff happened the natural way, because people seem to like to be lulled, for example. They loved stupid tv shows how they seem to love todays stupid you tube movies.

The ignorance of people is astounding. If only they could figure out how to think for themselves.

That the ignorance is astounding in a way is true, especially when we think of todays possibilities we have, the schools, the sheer amount of people going to university and so on.

In my opinion and experience the problem starts when they try to think for themselves, because every one of us is a bit lazy and so we prefer easy answers, we get our prejudices with mother's milk, and we try to avoid thinking about the coming bad news because it's depressing, and thinking properly about the things is quiet a bit of work because first you need hard facts. And somehow most of us tend to believe what's written without asking further questions. And 'thinking' is something most of us never really learned.

And, to be honest, part of the problem is simple that a lot of all this stuff is plain out of league of some people. They don't have the intelligence. There could be a little hope in some theories like the 'hive mind'.

Well, I could go on, but all in all, I feel I have written more then enough, especially as this forum is about 3d (even if the climatic change is influencing our possibilities to do that. At least mine. I feel plain horror about the simple fact that summers like this will be normal in the foreseeable future. At the moment I don't even render at night because of the heat.

But at least here, on friday all this has an end. Some 25 degrees (Celsius) at the most. So, all in all, this summer, well, was probably rather mild (as much as i hate the heat, the drought is the problem)).

Oh, by the way, to Americans who read the New York Times: No, in Switzerland didn't die one cow of thirst (in some part of the alps they got water by helicopter but that's another story). And the picture with the crowded lake is from Red Bull Cliff Diving World. Those are spectators, and other pictures about that show very clearly how few they are in reality :smile:

The New York Times isn't what it was, it seems ... :( :(

P.S.: They corrected their newsletter (and I hope the article in the print edition is ok, too).

Last edited:
Back