Pose Utilities.js

Pose Utilities.js

Update

Cheetah3D.png

Improved function names, and added new flip command (that flips entire pose, vs. old flip with swapped right and left). I hope it's not too confusing, but "mirror" and "flip" were somewhat misleading (either could mean either, right?).

Also added a naming convention (simply L or R, vs. L- or R-) since that's how my weasel is named.

One of the things you will do a LOT when animating characters is flip poses (e.g. you can do a walk cycle by creating two or three poses and then flipping each of them).

Mirror Copy kind of works for this, but it's not it's intended function and it's kind of painful to use. Pose Utilities lets you simply select a skeleton and click a button and bazoonga -- it's flipped. It will also let you zero out a skeleton or subset thereof, or copy poses from left to right or right to left.

It works PURELY on naming convention, so it skips over stuff like accessories (e.g. the gun in the image shown) and clothing in your hierarchy. (If you use a different naming convention it should be pretty easy to modify the script if you know JavaScript -- for that matter the scripts are based on my global iterator so adding new functions should be pretty easy.)

http://loewald.com/c3dstuff/

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-14 at 2.13.11 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-14 at 2.13.11 PM.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,935
  • Screen shot 2010-02-14 at 2.13.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-14 at 2.13.19 PM.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,972
Last edited:
Goin' to give this a bash tonight. Thanks for sharing. Any extra animation stuff can only be a bonus.

Andrew:smile:

Only real problem so far was caused by me trying to paste a pose which I hadn't copied.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-16 at 21.14.06.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-16 at 21.14.06.png
    82 KB · Views: 1,970
Darn, I thought I'd prevented those from occurring :)

I posted a quick fix which should prevent that error from occurring (you still get an error message)

I've had a private msg with a bunch of questions on this. Anyone else having problems?

A few clarifications:

Swap Right & Left turns the current pose into a mirror reflection of that pose (so what the left hand is doing becomes what the right hand is doing and vice versa).

The Copy Right-to-Left and Left-to-Right pose create symmetric poses based on the right, and left sides of the pose respectively.

Flip will produce odd results if used on the entire hierarchy because it will flip every bone in the selected hierarchy (including bones that aren't "left" or "right" bones). Because this includes the spine it will tend to turn the model inside out. It can be useful for modifying sub-hierarchies, such as the knee or elbow, but you usually want swap.

Copy, Paste, and Paste swapped should be clear based on the above.

can't use the tool

I can't use the script.
I'm trying in every way I've already though about but with no luck, and I can find what I'm doing wrong, since I believe I'm making every step as told.
I just want to make my character walk and run using this script that promises to be awesome. Does anybody may post a video tutorial or try to explain again how to work it out right?
Thank you for the attention.

Pose Utilities Help - Newbie

Hi All - I can't get the script to work. I can FLIP but nothing else. Tried changing naming convention. I've only been playing around with C3D for a week and only used Strata 3D briefly back in college 1997!

I've managed to model a character, rig (not quite right, think this the problem) and heat map etc. I'm just starting to try and POSE and add morphs.

However, I have managed to get cartoon eyes by using BULGE modifiers and PARENT CONSTRAINT while allowing eyes to follow a target. I'll post a separate file with these in cartoon eyes thread shortly. http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=77071#post77071

I've learnt so much from the Forum, especially podperson, filip c to name a few! Thank you all, I'm really enjoying C3D but got a huge learning curve ahead still. I've also bought Tonio Loewald's book too.

Attachments

• duck 026-Skelaton Ani.jas.zip
    329.4 KB · Views: 664
  • duck.png
    duck.png
    134 KB · Views: 746
Last edited:
Hi Frank

I was trying to do a WALK take/animation by setting each left pose for (contact, down, pass, up), recording in timeline and then wished to mirror the pose so I could have the right side of the walk (and save each of these as a pose). The script didn't do anything.

I'm having real problems understanding IK and linking. Tried picking apart the 'blockman' and 'rigs' Filip C has done. I've tried 'orient joint' also in character tools. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

There's always the possibility Pose Utilities is buggy :)

Pose utilities doesn't do anything to the actual C3D "poses". (I should probably rename it "Character Animation Utilities".) It simply operates on your bones. In particular it walks down the hierarchy and operates on things labeled left or right (in different ways) and mirrors or mirrors and switches their rotations and positions (i.e. if either makes a pose symmetrical, based on a specified side, or mirrors the pose). If I recall correctly it either ignores central bones or it flips them in flip case (e.g. if a character's back is leaning left, it leans it right).

I've updated pose utilities — I think that the way it flipped rotations was incompatible with changes under C3D's hood. It seems to be working for me now, but I've left the old version up for users of older versions of C3D and people for whom it was still working.

I've updated pose utilities — I think that the way it flipped rotations was incompatible with changes under C3D's hood. It seems to be working for me now, but I've left the old version up for users of older versions of C3D and people for whom it was still working.

Thanks for updating it. I'll give it a try with future animation poses. Poses being invaluable to long animations. :icon_thumbup:

Can't get this do work only the zero pose works for me. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• PoseUtilities.jpg
    PoseUtilities.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 556
Hi all, this script saved me a ton of time in the past, but lost it, anybody can help me find it back?

Thanks in advance!

Back