render parts of a character.

Is there a way to render out single parts of a rigged (merged) figure?
In poser you can go into the hierarchy uncheck visible and render one part of a figure, (the arm for instance).
Is there a way to do this same thing in C3D?
Thanks.

Can we have screenshots of what Poser is actually doing - just to make sure we´re talking about the same things? Thanks.
Otherwise I´m pretty sure we had this already as I remember me "painting away" the unneeded parts.

Cheers
Frank

:unsure: Not sure if this is useful:
* You can - in a temporary .jas - simply delete parts of the mesh which are momentarily redundant. The animation of the alien seems to continue without any change. I left the phantom points in my experiment to indicate the deleted parts (both legs, left arm, left half of the torso and head).
* I just checked that in the editor but I see no reason why a render should produce different results.
* You can easily test that in the relevant help file (without saving).

Sorry for the delay.
Here is what Poser can do with an imported C3D fbx file.
Import FBX file into Poser from C3D.
Open hierarchy in Poser make everything invisible except what you want to see in the Render.
Render.. there's your separate image render for constructing a sprite for use in Anime Studio or other 2d animation software.
This is what I would like to be able to achieve in C3D.
Is there a way without some convoluted work around?
Hide4.jpg

Thanks for the images. To be honest I have no clue how Poser manage it under the hood; maybe the weight map is responsible for the masking.
As I said earlier: I´d make a transparency map and paint away what you don´t want to have in the render.
Can make a video later if you don´t know how to achieve it quickly.

Cheers
Frank

Let´s try it in a written form first.

In essence there are 2 methods.
The first more convenient way is to use the original image texture (or better a duplicate) while in UV editor view mode with the mesh selected.
1. Hit the edit button when it´s selected.
2. Call the "Paint" tools: adjust Background color to zero Opacity
3. Select "Rubber" (should be named: Eraser IMHO) and paint over the parts you don´t want to render. You´ll get visual feedback instantly.
4. If you want to keep the image "Save" when "Leave Edit".

Second method requires a second image texture generated at the Transparency channel. In UV editor view mode:
a. Select mesh
b. select material
c. go Transparency channel - tick Texture->Image->New Texture. Give name and choose "Texture Size" and choose png or tiff as "File Type" - adjust "Black" as "Background color:".
d. Call "Paint" tools and select White as Color:
e. Select Brush and paint White over areas you don´t want to render. Note: No actual visual feedback available: this will only show up when rendered.

Alternatively for the second method you can choose a White Color background and paint with Black what you want to receive at render-time.

Let me know if something works for you or not.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
OK as to process #1 all goes well except for the render.
Everything is still showing. (I did not save the newly painted texture the first try and I did save it the second time made no difference in the render everything is still there. ??
All but render1.jpg

Hard to tell what parts that might be on your UV map. Index-of-Refraction checked?
You can try the following:
1a. Select the Skeleton-tag and tick "Show bind pose".
1b. Back in "paint-mode" paint carefully directly on the model to erase the parts too and look where they´re appear in the UV-map.

Cheers
Frank

After a bit (small bit) of clean up in Affinity Photo it works great.That small black flash lower right is now gone.
Thanks Frank.
As you said You had mentioned this before,
I could not get my head around it then.
Thanks for the instructions.
I will also try the second method when time allows.
Again as usual Thanks Man.

Back